Tripod need help choosing

crazyjackphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

need some help choosing tripod. Anyone can recommend one that's light & steady. Perfer Manfrotto, price range 100-400. i heard carbon fiber is great but is probably out of my price range. Thanks in advance guys!!

Though it isn't manfrotto I recieved a Slik 700DX.

Though it's a bit heavy, it's built and seems basically rock solid to me.

Its around $120 I believe and i couldnt be happier with it.

However if you want something small or light weight this isn't for you IMO, as this isn't either of the two.

This is my only expeirence witha tripod really, my last one was a no-name 30$ one that was picked up at wallmart, though it was great for my point and shoot, It couldn't hold up my 350d once i got it. So had to get this which i love!

There is some missing info...

What are you going to put on it (weight is the most important)?

Here's something I noticed that is really silly..... Carbon fiber tripods are not always noticeable lighter than their equivalent aluminum counterparts. This is due to the design... not enough R&D put into lightening the heaviest portions of the tripod... the collar, joints, and locks. Often the only part that is exchanged for carbon are the tubes which do not make up the majority of the weight. Gitzo's have the best carbon fiber tripods (lightest) but freakin expensive... I'm saving up for one right now.

Also.. don't be scared of used well made tripods... there is not much to a tripod that can break. I found a 3001 pro bogen with 3 way pan full height for $35... scratched up.. but who cares?

Both Manfrotto.com and Gitzo.com have really neat "configurators" or calculators that will help in your decision. A good start from Manfrotto is the 3001 (or equivalent) legs with a choice of either ball or 3 way pan head. Should still be in your budget.

The Magfiber 055 series runs about $380 + head. Not the lightest carbon fiber tripod though. Really depends on the load you need to support.
The carbon fiber is not just for support weight, though they do support more, it's more for torsion ridgidity. A big issue for supertelephotos. Overall weight reduction over aluminum is like 1-1.5 lbs at best.

thanks guys, I have a 5D with 24-70L & 70-200 2.8 is. which the 2nd is a bit heavy. The thing is, I prefer one that allows you to carry around for hours without breaking your back. =T Usayit, 3001 is a great tripod as friends recommend that as well. I'd be glad if can get more opinions. thanks

I don't know much about tripods, but I own a Velbon ULTRA LUXi L tripod and to me its very versatile, lightweight and steady.

Just go to a shop and try a few. Then look on the internet for the cheapest place to buy it! ;)

thanks guys, I have a 5D with 24-70L & 70-200 2.8 is. which the 2nd is a bit heavy. The thing is, I prefer one that allows you to carry around for hours without breaking your back. =T Usayit, 3001 is a great tripod as friends recommend that as well. I'd be glad if can get more opinions. thanks

Tripods are a balance between price (lower), stability (max rated, more stability), and weight (lighter weight).

You can't have all three.... If you want something that is stable for that equipment and light weight, you will have to fork out the cash. If you want a tripod that is stable and inexpensive, you will have to carry a heavier tripod. If you want a tripod that is inexpensive and light weight, it will be less stable (rated for less weight).

Rate the 3 in order of preference....... it will help you on your decision.

3001 isn't light but isn't heavy either. It and the "pro" version are very popular because of its balance of those three. I have two of them... full height and a shorty. The shorty is slightly lighter at the sacrifice of max height. It is quite literally half the height of my other 3001.

49308535.jpg

53720736.jpg

Another one that seemed like a good choice (as per what others have told me) are the Velbon Carmagne carbon fiber tripod series. The Gitzo Traveler has impressed me the most..... but it will be a few more months till I have the available funds. I'll probably sell one of my other tripods once the Traveler has been purchased.

I use a Bogen / Manfrotto 055XBPRO /with a 322RC2 ball head with some fairly heavy lenses. The ball head works nice but I might go just a bit heavier on the tripod tho as the wind can cause some slight shudder sometimes. very versatile setup tho, here are some pics.
tripod012.jpg

tripod016.jpg

tripod019.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys! Yeah think I might be broke soon lol. Depend what I'm going to get. Hopefully my next gig will be able to pay for the tripod.

At least for the legs, i think you should consider induro. I think that they are at least as sturdy as Manfrotto and much cheaper.
Their carbon fiber legs are affordable, and just a made in china copy of Gitzo.

They do have an interesting product lineup and good price point.

Someone should educate their webdesigner of the differences between a Leica Rangefinder and a P&S... lol.

Most reactions

Back