Tripods - What are you using?

Heather Koch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So in another thread I stated about my sad, very sad experience with Amazon with the d7100, well in the chat with them about the "scam," they offered me a full refund and aloud me to order anything I wanted within a certain price range and get 1 day shipping, free! Also added an extra month on my prime account. Score.

ANYWHO, I decided to get this tripod. Just received it today. I have been using a very old video camera (that takes tapes!) tripod that my parents owned before I was even born. Decided it was time for a new one. This one has many features, I didn't even know existed...

DET_0214 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

DET_0218 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

DET_0219 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

DET_0220 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

DET_0223 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

DET_0222 4 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

What does everyone else use?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use several tripods

# 1 - Slik Professional with their SH-909 3 way head
# 2 - Slik 500 with their SH-908 3 way head
I have a couple more miscellaneous ones too

congrats on your freebie

I use a Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT with the SBH-100 Ball head. I got it as a kit deal on amazon for about $184.

Ahh, some very nice/sturdy tripods. The one thing I knew I wanted was a multi way tripod, in which this one does have... and a level, whoa!

Thanks Astro! :)

If, as I suspect you will, you soon find out that this tripod isn't quite all you want, consider checking out your local Craig's List and similar 'sites. Tripods can be an excellent deal on the used market, often going for <50 cents on the dollar!

If, as I suspect you will, you soon find out that this tripod isn't quite all you want, consider checking out your local Craig's List and similar 'sites. Tripods can be an excellent deal on the used market, often going for <50 cents on the dollar!
As much as I search my local ads, I have never thought of purchasing a tripod used... :headscratch: What an idea!

Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 (on sale) w/ Giottos head (ebay). Previously, an Induro A113 / SA01 (didn't like it very much) and a Dolica AX620B100 (the best tripod $40 could buy).

Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 (on sale) w/ Giottos head (ebay). Previously, an Induro A113 / SA01 (didn't like it very much) and a Dolica AX620B100 (the best tripod $40 could buy).

Now you have me researching that Dolica... Tempted to return and purchase...

As you get more into photography and use the tripod more, it becomes more than something you just plop your camera on from time to time.

You start using it to stabilize awkward situations. then you start seeing where certain features of the tripod come into play.
First and foremost - sturdiness of the entire tripod, including the head - i like this funny video ==>

The ability of the legs to spread far apart at various angles and lengths - not having the legs stabilized by posts connecting it to the center shaft
just to name a couple.

Now you have me researching that Dolica... Tempted to return and purchase...

I liked it a lot, but it's not perfect -- specifically, the head wasn't really up to par. Again, for $40, it was a steal, but like tirediron mentioned, you might be able to find a pretty good deal if you're open to a used unit. Unlike cameras or lenses where you have to worry about "hidden" defects a little more, tripods are pretty easy to suss out when you buy used. Most of them have three primary features, and they're all legs.

Here's some more background on that Dolica, though, including my gripes about the head, which is what finally sent me shopping for a replacement.

Thank you! I think I am going to go with that one for now. I have a velbon cx 300 right now, and the Dolica will be a huge upgrade...Though they run around the same price...

I use a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 and a 190CXPRO3. The PRO4 has a leveling center column which I really like. Both are carbon fiber. I have several heads for them.
i-hVz4qzJ-M.jpg

As you get more into photography and use the tripod more, it becomes more than something you just plop your camera on from time to time.

You start using it to stabilize awkward situations. then you start seeing where certain features of the tripod come into play.
First and foremost - sturdiness of the entire tripod, including the head - i like this funny video ==>

The ability of the legs to spread far apart at various angles and lengths - not having the legs stabilized by posts connecting it to the center shaft
just to name a couple.

Great video! Thanks

at last count I had 8. Mostly video and all Manfrotto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back