Ugly pictures challenge

martaexv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

I'm a student in computer vision and I am pursuing my master dissertation in "image's aesthetics". Concretely, I am trying to understand the "beauty" in images but looking for clues in its opposite side, the "ugliness". Thus, I am interested in knowing what parameters/details do not please observers in a photo.

I am aware that there is lot of subjective part on this topic... cultural backgrounds, education, styles... still I am trying to see if there is any pattern common in the human being (due to our genetic or instinct of survival). Thus, to do it easier, I am considering images without human-made objects (i.e. cars, buildings, people...) or animals. For example, mountains, grass, sea landscapes... would work.

I thought that you, as experienced photographers, would have lots of interesting and helpful information and ideas :) What would you consider in order to take a photo the ugliest possible? If you have any example of ugly picture that you want to share, it would be really welcomed too.

Thank you

here you go
411a3e202f06faa235fbec1d8615e18b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll play:
severe camera blur, no clear subject, poor composition, bad white balance, and over saturated color.

cmw3_d40_5216.jpg

I can post a reeealy ugly, revolting picture, but real ugliness is assosciated almost exclusively with humans and thier products. I can not possibly imagine anything natural such as mountains, grass or landscapes that could be described as ugly. Technically poor images are just what it is technicaly poor, there is nothing particularly ugly about it however much blur or grain you add.

Two out of the three posters did not read carefully:

I am considering images without human-made objects (i.e. cars, buildings, people...) or animals. For example, mountains, grass, sea landscapes... would work.

The question I would have for the OP is: are you looking for pictures of ugly subjects or ugly pictures of nice subjects? What does the adjective "ugly" attach to? Are you looking for what subjects people consider ugly, or are you concerned with how a picture of something nice can still be taken in an ugly way (as in technically poor, overprocessed, poorly composed...)?

The question I would have for the OP is: are you looking for pictures of ugly subjects or ugly pictures of nice subjects?
This exactly. The OP is not clear enough.

Two out of the three posters did not read carefully:

I am considering images without human-made objects (i.e. cars, buildings, people...) or animals. For example, mountains, grass, sea landscapes... would work.

The question I would have for the OP is: are you looking for pictures of ugly subjects or ugly pictures of nice subjects? What does the adjective "ugly" attach to? Are you looking for what subjects people consider ugly, or are you concerned with how a picture of something nice can still be taken in an ugly way (as in technically poor, overprocessed, poorly composed...)?
I say ugliness, just as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In my example, I see it as "ugly" because of the technical and artistic flaws, though some were introduced into the original just for this thread.

Hmmm . . . the shadow, that big ugly blue patch, was made by a truck blocking out the sun. Does that still count? ;)

I say ugliness, just as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In my example, I see it as "ugly" because of the technical and artistic flaws, though some were introduced into the original just for this thread.

Hmmm . . . the shadow, that big ugly blue patch, was made by a truck blocking out the sun. Does that still count? ;)

Absolutely, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. But someone could take a pictures of something ugly and still make a beautiful picture. The OP is trying to be systematic about his study (which is commendable) and so I just wondered what "ugly" is he/she studying: ugly subjects or ugly pictures? Is the study about how a picture can still be ugly even if it is a nice subject? I think that's what's being asked for, but I just wanted to clarify.

If it's ugly pictures he's after, I nominate anything that's been tone-mapped and HDRd within an inch of its life.

If it's ugly pictures he's after, I nominate anything that's been tone-mapped and HDRd within an inch of its life.
This. Over and over.

Well, if I can't post anything made by humans, or animals, I guess that leaves out photos of my ex.

Sorry but I can't help, all of my pictures are beautiful :801:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back