Uh-Oh... Looks like I'm starting a collection :D

Olympus8MP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thecodesource.solarbotics.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up this camera at an antique store yesterday for $10. The lens says Mamiya-Sekor on it. I take it this is a Mamiya then? It also says 18 A Tower on top. Is this the model name? Forgive me I am new to old cameras, being more of a digital user. I just couldn't pass up a camera in this nice of shape for $10! The one thing it is missing is the ISO/ASA knob for the light meter on the front. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? And where can I find info on restoring it? Pics are below.

Front

p1032048704-4.jpg

Rear

p948379639-4.jpg

I'm going to buy some film tonight and try it out :D

It's definitely a Mamiya... from looking at this site it seems to be a Mamiya Ruby from 1960. Obviously it was rebranded a Tower; I think that was the name given to cameras sold by Sears (could be wrong there). Afraid I can't find a manual. To be honest I think the chances of finding a replacement for the ISO dial are slim, but if the lens is clear and the shutter speeds are accurate then the camera should be ok to use.

As for starting a collection.... One of us! One of us! :lol:

You are correct... Sears resold cameras from various manufacturers under the name Tower. Usually Japanese 35mm bodies back when the 35mm format wasn't taken seriously (considered a toy). They resold Pentax (known as Asahi Optical) as well as a few others.

Another story but you can also get later K-mount "Sears" bodies and lenses - made by Ricoh. They're not bad.

I think they even sold rebanded nikon rangefinders too.

J. C. Penney too....

I wouldn't bother trying to find the knob for the meter, it's probably either non-working or is inaccurate at this late date. Anyway, it's a great opportunity to internalize your own sense of what the light is like and what settings are optimal. For critical shots, a working meter is indispensable, but this looks like a good compact street shooter, well-suited to working on the fly. I see it has a DOF scale on the lens barrel, which is a nice convenience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back