Under the Bridge - Self Portrait

I like that you are going for creativity, but I am not really *getting it*

a bucket and a steampipe.

....that's my random comment...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

serious now: I'm really interested to hear why this pic is appealing to you. Does it convey a certain mood? It's not touching me at all. No contact with the subject and nothing guiding me to feel something or any other way it's doing anything for me.

sorry

pascal

I felt this coming on- and lucky for me I guess, I'm not the sensitive type.

To be truthful, when I was shooting this, I wasn't really "going for" anything, which is a flaw that I've since overcome. Like I said, it was mostly testing out my new camera. And if you want me to be REALLY truthful, Puscas, I like it because it's one of the few pictures I have of myself that I think I don't look outright terrible in.

But really, thanks for the comments! I swear that I've progressed since last year. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this and wasted time, but in the same breath, these sort of comments (not getting a feeling from it, etc), help keep my head in the game! :)

I didnt mean to put you on the defensive...really. But its all dark, there is no detail, your face is cut off...you know....I am sure you have alot of photos, post more. If you love it, then its great for you. No need to feel defensive, it just isnt my cup of tea

I apologize if I came off as very defensive- I really do understand where you both are coming from. I'm just a little embarassed that I posted this photo, now! :)

I apologize if I came off as very defensive- I really do understand where you both are coming from. I'm just a little embarassed that I posted this photo, now! :)

don't be. Remember, we're not attacking you, only commenting on the pic. And hearing 'that's a great photo' all the time, will probably not give you anything to work with.
and we are just two of many people on TPF; who knows, maybe all the others love this one...:D

oh and if you say it's one of the photo's you 'don't look outright terrible in', I hear you. But, this picture isn't showing much. An eye, an ear, hair, that's it. Don't be shy, post more pics!

pascal

As you labelled it a self-portrait I think it communicates very clearly. To me it says self-consciuosness, the fact that you are turned away from the camera and have cut part of your face off tells me you don't like pics of yourself. I don't know many photographers who actually like pics of themselves either :). Post some other stuff, let us see who you are in a different way.

It took me a little bit... looking off and on at the picture to figure everything out on it.. Like, where your face actually was. and what the background was.

It seems like there is no real subject to the picture. The EE's draw an attention, and you look at them.. and then you are like, Oh, whats this dark thing in the corner. Oh Snap, there's a face.

I would much rather see your face fully in the image and not cut off.

Keep up the shooting though. The more you do. the more practice you get.

I don't know, I actually like the shot. It's not a technically wonderful shot, as you yourself have mentioned, The Losing Kind, but it has a sort of appeal to me that can't really be contained within technicalities. Maybe it's because the picture, as Roger touched on, gives the 'self-conscious' feeling, and I can relate to that, so the picture speaks to me on that level. But I also like the dark look of the shot, because that also speaks to me. There are some shots, like this, that might not strike some as 'good shots' because of the shot's technical issues or whatnot, but to the people shots like this hit, they hit hard. So, with all that being said, I like it, and I'll be interested to see more of your work.

-Jeremy

Three control spots, 30 seconds worth of moving sliders in Capture NX later:

Bridge2.jpg

would be great if you could get the rest of her face back :) Seriously, op post more photos

Haha, I would, but I don't generally go around snapping shots of my own face! :) I'll post some more as soon as I find/take some, I promise. Ya'll didn't scare me away or anything like that!

That's the big problem with me- I'm always the one with the "nice camera", so I'm never the one IN the photographs.

To Trenton (or Jeremy, rather): Thanks for your comment- it was hard for me to word exactly why I like this shot, but I think you kind of hit the nail on the head in what you said.

Sabbath: I was reluctant to try and brighten it too much in Photoshop, because it was supposed to be a dark shot anyways, and because then it washes some features out (like the eyelashes). But in the same breath, your edit definitely brings out some features, too! :)

I think the idea has potential, but I don't see the connection between the girl and whatever the mood is supposed to be. Perhaps if you saw more of the girl's expression or surroundings it might be more clear.

Most reactions

Back