University of Glasgow

Resin42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a walk up the city's West End today, ended up going around the main university building while the sun was out. Quite chuffed with the shots.

All C+C welcome as ever.

Cloister_I_by_Resin42.jpg

Cloister_II_by_Resin42.jpg

Seat_of_Learning_I_by_Resin42.jpg

Seat_of_Learning_III_by_Resin42.jpg

Cloister_III_by_Resin42.jpg

Worship_by_Resin42.jpg

I've got several more from elsewhere around the area that I'll PP and post later. My hit rate's definately getting higher. :)

No.1 and 2 seem to be a bit grainy (not sure if you were going for that). I like 3 & 4.

#5 is good, maybe a little over exposed in the background, but I like it.

#7 (not sure what happened to #6, or is it one of those days....) for some reason the building just doesn't look real to me. It looks like CGI done at Dreamworks or something.

But, what do I know, I'm still a noob....

I really like the look in 3-7. Did you use a CPF?

Can you let us know how you did this.

No.1 and 2 seem to be a bit grainy (not sure if you were going for that).

The price I paid for the dark environment. The shutter speed was 1/80, aperture F/5.6 and I keeped the ISO at 400. The noise should up when I was lightening it in PP. In retrospect a higher ISO might have ment less noise in this situation but I don't actually mind it so much.

#7 (not sure what happened to #6, or is it one of those days....) for some reason the building just doesn't look real to me. It looks like CGI done at Dreamworks or something.

7 is 6, my bad :). Curiously I've done less to this than any of them, Looking at it again it could use a little more contrast.

I really like the look in 3-7. Did you use a CPF?

Can you let us know how you did this.

A CPF is on my "to do" list. In 3 and 4 I just used CS3's RAW converter. After the necessary contrast I desaturated heavily but really kicked up the vibrance which can have some interesting results. 7 was purely exposure and contrast adjustments to get the sky.

I could only wish there was architecture like that around here! personally, I like #3 and #7.

Derrick

I like the first three images. If anything, i think the grain/noise is only going to add to the first two shots!

Think i'll try that desaturating and sliding the vibrance up technique, quite a nice effect.

OT: On Wed 6th there's a BSB event at George Sq. if you're interested in going, it should be a good opportunity for some photo's - motorbikes, riders, street photography, etc.. I'll be going as i'm a biker myself.

I love em all. In days gone by I used to use Kodak Tri-X or Fuji neo pan 1600 wth a polariser to get a similar feel...

You do of course realise that when you post stuff that is this good, you are going to set yourself up as an "Aunt Sally" for every one on the planet.... But keep em comming we all love good images here. That is why we are here..

My personal favorites ..... 1, 2 & 3.

Thanks a lot guys, glad you're liking them.

You do of course realise that when you post stuff that is this good, you are going to set yourself up as an "Aunt Sally" for every one on the planet.... But keep em comming we all love good images here. That is why we are here..

High praise indeed but I should point out that I've only been actually taking photographs for just under two months, although I've been doing small, band related graphic design pieces on Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro for a couple of years. All criticism is welcome as long as it's good intentioned. As I've said, Im very keen to keep improving. :)

OT: On Wed 6th there's a BSB event at George Sq. if you're interested in going, it should be a good opportunity for some photo's - motorbikes, riders, street photography, etc.. I'll be going as i'm a biker myself.

That sounds fantastic but time is short on Wednesday. Do you know what kind of time it's running at? I'd have maybe an hour or two between finishing work around 4 and band practice at 6.

5.30 - 5.45 TRACK CHECK AND OPENING BY SAFETY CAR
5.45 - 5.55 Action Starts with preview activity for the 5.30 Show
5.58 – 6.00 Music by Cannadrumma to precede activities
6.00– 6.20 1st BIKE ACTION
6.20 – 6.25 Track Crossing
6.25 – 6.35 Activity one
6.35 – 6.40 Track Crossing
6.40 – 7.00 2nd BIKE ACTION
7.00 – 7.05 Track Crossing
7.05 – 7.15 Activity two
7.15 – 7.20 Track Crossing
7.20 – 7.40 3rd BIKE ACTION
7.40 – 7.45 Track Crossing
7.45 – 7.50 Activity three
7.50 – 7.55 Track Crossing
7.55 – 8.15 BIKE ACTION FINALE
8.15 - 8.30 TRACK CLOSED BY SAFETY CAR
8.30 - 8.45 Square re-opens to traffic

Ah well there you, it doesn't actually start until 6:00 really. (sorry about this bold text, i can't get it off!!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back