Update —Need any advise on comparison of 35mm film scanners

Rickbb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been researching for a year or more, (I'm not prone to snap decisions :02.47-tranquillity:), on what 35mm film scanner to get. (Also used the search function here and found some good posts on film scanners, but most are not specific to my quest.)

I've narrowed it down to between these 2 and looking for comments from those that have used one or the other, (or both).

Pacific Image Prime Film XAs
or,
Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai

Both around $500 USD more or less so cost is a wash mostly.

Started this hobby in the late 60's and I've got thousands of old Kodachrome 25 slides and B&W negatives but have no intention of scanning them all.

I will cherry pick the ones I will scan to enlarge and print. I will print up to 13" x 19"/A3+ on a Cannon Pro 100 printer. So output quality and truth to the original is way more important to me than speed of the scan.

(Yes I know I can do the ole copy neg setup, but automated IR dust and scratch removal is something I can really use. [If it works as advertised on these 2 models.])

Rick

........Pacific Image Prime Film XAs
or,

I can't speak to a comparison, only to the Plustek. It shows the grain in my K25 slides.

With the Epson flatbed scanners, ICE (IR) dust removal won't work with Kodachrome or certain BW film. The Kodachrome has layers of dyes that confuse the IR. IR will work with Ektachrome and other E6 processed film. I forget why it doesn't work with BW. But it's for similar reasons. Anyway, verify this feature one way or the other before making a decision. Cleaning up scans from dust is a pain in the neck. Good luck.

I have an older Wolverine slide/neg scanner that is now out of date, and I'm struggling with the decision as to keeping it vs. getting something newer. I had an old Plustek scanner that I used until 10 years ago or so, and I found it buggy and very hard to use. The Wolverine is dead easy, but trying any exposure or color correction with it (or using the bundled software) is an exercise in frustration. I'm seriously considering a replacement so will be following this thread.

Here's an example of what the Wolverine produces. The image is from 1977, on Kodachrome 64, taken with a Nikkor 43-86mm zoom IIRC.

Base scan, overall image reduced to 1200 x 800 px to fit in this window (from scan at 5472 x 3648 px.)

PICT0614 level 1200.JPG

Cropped section at full resolution

PICT0614 fs crop.JPG

Processed image at 1200 x 800 (mainly color adjustments and slight sharpness augmentation.)

PICT0614b.jpg

My goal was to get this image as close as possible to a digital version taken with modern equipment, but I just think the limitations of the base media - grain, native contrast etc. - are going to prevent that, and any enhancements in post production seem to tend to backfire.

I'm a bit suspicious of any automated or AI noise or blemish reduction features that come with bundled software. If your aim is to produce images worthy of enlargements as you're proposing, I personally would probably keep relying on some sort of image editing software like PS or Paintshop and doing the dust/crud removal manually. It's tedious but you can avoid the baby/bath water problems that come with automation. Just my opinion, anyway.

Like I say, I'll be following this thread. Good luck!

I'm curious why you're not considering Epson.

I'm curious why you're not considering Epson.

All the online comparisons/reviews from multiple sources, rate the 2 I've mentioned as superior in output quality/true to original to the Epson models in the same class. I've no experience with any film only scanner, I've an old Mustek flat bed with a transparency option, but it has a max rez of 1200 DPI and no color calibration abilities. Not to mention it's 20+ years old by now, great flat bed for small family snaps and documents, but not at all for what I want to do.

or,

I can't speak to a comparison, only to the Plustek. It shows the grain in my K25 slides.

Is that a good thing or bad? Are you happy with it and does it produce an "art/presentation level" quality for enlargements? Anything you don't like, or do like specifically about it?

or,

Is that a good thing or bad? Are you happy with it and does it produce an "art/presentation level" quality for enlargements? Anything you don't like, or do like specifically about it?

All K25 frames from 1975-1979.

Riviera by Ken DePue

Rock Formation VOF 2 by Ken DePue

Rain on the Window by Ken DePue

Aster by Ken DePue

Lichen by Ken DePue

Hen and Eggs by Ken DePue

Nice images, I see what you mean about the grain of the film. I guess you can't get a higher resolution that than.

Did you do any post scan processing, or are they as is off the scanner?

Nice images, I see what you mean about the grain of the film. I guess you can't get a higher resolution that than.

Did you do any post scan processing, or are they as is off the scanner?

They'll all be PPd to some degree... some more than others.

I think either of those two scanners should do a good job for that printer and size of print.
I have customers that use both makes and they seem happy with the results. I also have printed a few of their scans up to 16x24 (Epson 9900) and they look very good.

Having recently done a lot of research into scanning film, I recommend getting a light pad and photographing the film with your DSLR. The resolution will be the same as what you shoot it with. Do a search on YouTube and you will find some great tutorials.

With the Epson flatbed scanners, ICE (IR) dust removal won't work with Kodachrome or certain BW film. The Kodachrome has layers of dyes that confuse the IR. IR will work with Ektachrome and other E6 processed film. I forget why it doesn't work with BW. But it's for similar reasons. Anyway, verify this feature one way or the other before making a decision. Cleaning up scans from dust is a pain in the neck. Good luck.
I have a Epson Perfection V500 flatbed photo scanner (w/ digital ICE technology) and it works on every kind of negative and slide film I've thrown at it, both B&W and color. No issues at all.

I hate reviving old threads, but as an update.

After some more deliberation, (procrastination), I decided to try a new macro lens as my old one did not give me results I liked and was an old off brand manual everything lens. Since I needed, (wanted), a new macro lens anyway, I though I'd give the copy neg another shot instead of a dedicated slide scanner.

I purchased a new Micro Nikkor 40MM 2.8 G DX and an ES1 slide copy adaptor with slide holder and neg strip holder. Setup a couple of different LED light sources, and think I've settled on a 900 lu, 5000K light in a box made of foam core board.

All of them required some degree of PP in LR, mostly to get rid of the spots of whatever it is. I think most of it is in the film, after all they are 50 years old and have been put away in a box.

Tried to post some, but too large, back to LR.

Most reactions

Back