Using the SB-910 with a beauty dish or softbox (Settings advice)

TheSharpshooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,
Currently making the jump from studio lights to speedlights as I no longer have a studio and need something light to take with me on the go. Anyway, I now own an SB-910 and a couple of beauty dishes and softboxes but I am very confused by the SB-910 menu! On the studio lights there were only four buttons, a power button, a light intensity wheel and a test button as well as a button to make the strobe go off if another strobe went off as well. But holy Jesus is the SB-910 a complicated device! Firstly I am unsure of how to set the intensity of the flash, then I am not sure what mode to get into to use it with my PocketWizard Plus III and I just don't get that whole zoom thing. I'm also told there's a modelling light on the SB-910? Can somebody please help a speedlight newbie out? :)

Have you Read The Fine Manual? The zoom function is pretty simple. And the flash power level will take you about 30 seconds to figure out.

I bought mine new, and it came with a Fine manual which I read through at least once. You might be able to download a copy from Nikon.

Well I don't understand manuals they are much too complicated. Plus mine came in Swedish... [Correction] I have now read the manual in english and I don't understand it.

What zoom setting should one use in a beauty dish? Soft box? Does it matter? What illumination pattern?

Last edited:
Well I don't understand manuals they are much too complicated. Plus mine came in Swedish... [Correction] I have now read the manual in english and I don't understand it.

What zoom setting should one use in a beauty dish? Soft box? Does it matter? What illumination pattern?

Since you want the light to spread out, use the shortest zoom setting.

Why is the flash intensity written like shutterspeeds? Or did I get that wrong?

Set the flash to Manual and then increase or decrease the power as necessary: 1/1=full power; 1/2=one-half power; 1/4=one-quarter power.... you get the idea.

Set the flash to Manual and then increase or decrease the power as necessary: 1/1=full power; 1/2=one-half power; 1/4=one-quarter power.... you get the idea.

Oh I get it now! Thanks!

Most reactions

Back