Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of getting some magnetic signs for my vehicle, and have roughed out a concept, BUT... I am NOT a graphic designer, so I'm looking for any ideas for improvements, changes, etc (Bearing in mind that I know things aren't perfectly centered etc).

Door_sign_Small.jpg

Really? "Have you been shot recently"? Seriously?

Edit: Oh, you're in Canada. Nevermind.

I has a 1950's look to it ... type face is not exciting enough, your slogan is a little off center. If you sell quality then you have to be serious or people will not understand ...Like Bitter :)

I like it, but I know squat about this type of advertising! The "been shot" doesn't go over too well, down here.. but probably isn't an issue where you are at! ;)

John, to me these fonts are killing it. Also it's kind of wordy IMO. Keep in mind. This will be seen by a lot of people driving. I would lose the top part besides the logo, and just put your main focuses instead. Check out fontsquirrel.com for great fonts.

I would keep either the "been shot recently" or the "custom photography for all occasions", but not both. Or change it up and put a few descriptive words, portraits, weddings, architecture, whatever it is you do most. People driving have a second or two at most to see it.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Really? "Have you been shot recently"? Seriously?

Edit: Oh, you're in Canada. Nevermind.
The idea was a 'humour hook'; something to make people remember in the same vein as a septic company whose slogan was, "Satisfaction guarenteed or double your sewage refunded".

I has a 1950's look to it ... type face is not exciting enough...
I'll cheerfully take font suggestions
...your slogan is a little off center. If you sell quality then you have to be serious or people will not understand ...Like Bitter
Hence the reason I mentioned that in my post! ;)

I like it, but I know squat about this type of advertising! The "been shot" doesn't go over too well, down here.. but probably isn't an issue where you are at!
I'm hoping the humour comes through.

John, to me these fonts are killing it. Also it's kind of wordy IMO. Keep in mind. This will be seen by a lot of people driving. I would lose the top part besides the logo, and just put your main focuses instead. Check out fontsquirrel.com for great fonts.
Any fonts you would recommend? I'm really stuck on this!

I would keep either the "been shot recently" or the "custom photography for all occasions", but not both. Or change it up and put a few descriptive words, portraits, weddings, architecture, whatever it is you do most. People driving have a second or two at most to see it.
That was my thought too, but damnit, I like them both.... :(

OK, take a person who knows nothing about photography, let them shoot a wedding and see what you end up with. This is the graphic design equivalent. You can try to give that person all kinds of tips and advice, but in the end you most likely will not end up with a good outcome. Just like wedding pictures to many, something as important as your business identity deserves higher priority IMHO. If you agree, bring in a pro.

ChunkFive, Museo, collaborate, bebas nue, etc. Something with a visual impact

The idea was a 'humour hook'; something to make people remember in the same vein as a septic company whose slogan was, "Satisfaction guarenteed or double your sewage refunded".

Unfortunately, that's not what people are going to think of.

At the risk of getting political, people will think about Sandy Hook, Clackamas, Virginia Tech, Santana High and Columbine. Or, since you're in Canada, they'll think of Ecole Polytechnique and Dawson College, and they will conclude that your sign is in, at best, very poor taste.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's warranted. But it's what will happen, and I bet it hurts your business.

A lot...

Last edited:
I can't really add anything. I think these guys are right about the "have you been shot lately", and I'm a gun collector and recreational shooter.

ChunkFive, Museo, collaborate, bebas nue, etc. Something with a visual impact
Cool! Thanks Tyler, I will play around with those this evening!

Here is my take on it...
On your website you have a logo, which you must use on all your branding so that people will associate that logo with you. Its all about brand recognition
That is great! I really like that approach, and to be honest, one of things bothering me was that I couldn't figure out a way to work my logo into it; every time I did, it just seemed lame. This, I LIKE!

Unfortunately, that's not what people are going to think of. At the risk of getting political, people will think about Sandy Hook, Clackamas, Virginia Tech, Santana High and Columbine. Or, since you're in Canada, they'll think of Ecole Polytechnique and Dawson College, and they will conclude that your sign is in, at best, very poor taste.
I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's warranted. But it's what will happen, and I bet it hurts your business.
A lot...

I can't really add anything. I think these guys are right about the "have you been shot lately", and I'm a gun collector and recreational shooter.
Point taken, however, are you considering the very significant differences between the Canadian and US views on the topic of firearms? I agree that in the US this would be a total bonehead idea; up here? I think it has merit...

It reminds me of an ambulance chaser, offering to shoot photos of your injuries for the lawsuit.
Thanks Buckster... I think. If they're offering to pay, I'm offering to shoot...

Yeah the "have you been shot" thing will turn off more potential customers than it will get you I think.

Also if this is a standard sized magnetic sign the text is WAY too small to be seen by anyone unless they're at the light next to you. People need to be able to remember the number or the web address. The phone should take up the bottom 1/3 of the sign (at min)

You just can't get too artsy on an 18" x 24" space. Print it out (tile it and tape it) and put it on the car. You'll see what I mean.

Most reactions

Back