Veiled Poisonpie

Kev Richards

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This shot was taken a short trip away from my home in the midlands UK, yesterday. I believe the fungus to be a Veiled Poisonpie, but I maybe wrong.
I found it difficult to straighten this image due to two factors. the mushroom not growing straight (bad shroom! :blue:) and the foliage.
The shot was not taken with a tripod, which I'm regretting. I just didn't have one with me at the time.

IMG_0538_edited.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0538_edited.jpg
    IMG_0538_edited.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
This isn't too bad - some of the edges in front and at the back are just slightly out of focus. One thing that I have found a bit helpful for getting down to the ground and close to these things is to use a bean bag. It provides as much stability as a good tripod. Granted I wouldn't want to hike any distance with it in a pack, but if you are shooting close to home, or your car, they work very well for that "low down" shot.

WesternGuy

This isn't too bad - some of the edges in front and at the back are just slightly out of focus. One thing that I have found a bit helpful for getting down to the ground and close to these things is to use a bean bag. It provides as much stability as a good tripod. Granted I wouldn't want to hike any distance with it in a pack, but if you are shooting close to home, or your car, they work very well for that "low down" shot.

WesternGuy
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to add one to my bag

Looks like it could be Veiled Poisonpie. There is no indication of how big it is. This species would not exceed 5cm in height. It would also be growing on Sandy soil.

If the fungus is not vertical, then that is how it is. I feel that you should depict it how it is. It won`t mind!

Looks like it could be Veiled Poisonpie. There is no indication of how big it is. This species would not exceed 5cm in height. It would also be growing on Sandy soil.

If the fungus is not vertical, then that is how it is. I feel that you should depict it how it is. It won`t mind!
According to my book, which is the COLLINS GEM the cap size 2-5 cm, it was about 4-5cm with a stem of 4-7cm
Habitat under pine and other trees especially birch.
I think the best indication to its size is the oak leaf to the left in the picture.
I'm still unsure though as the colour is quite pail. The book says that the veiled poisonpie is a chestnut colour. It was is a sandy soil.

FYI, I don't know what you might put in your "bean" bag, but I find that unpopped pop corn kernels work the best for me.

WesternGuy

FYI, I don't know what you might put in your "bean" bag, but I find that unpopped pop corn kernels work the best for me.

WesternGuy
I was actually looking on for a been bag when I recieved your post. Any reason you wouldn't use the pollystyene balls that most seem to be filled with?

WesternGuy
I was actually looking on for a been bag when I recieved your post. Any reason you wouldn't use the pollystyene balls that most seem to be filled with?
The "pop corn" is biodegradable (and edible :biggrin-93: ), whereas the polystyrene balls are not. I prefer to use something that is, more or less, environmentally friendly. I also find that they fit very nicely around the lens when it is on the bean bag. That's all. I guess you could say that it is a purely personal thing. Also, I would not buy one that comes "prefilled" - but that's just me.

WesternGuy

I find that a piece of bubble wrap handy for this. You can easily fold it to point the lens where you will.

I find that a piece of bubble wrap handy for this. You can easily fold it to point the lens where you will.
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Do you use the "wrap" with large bubbles or small bubbles - just curious?

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back