Volvo 2005-2006 Race

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by MyCameraEye, May 8, 2006.

1. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

My wife, mother-in-law and I were invited to sail aboard a neighbors a 38 foot sailboat to see the 2005-2006 Volvo race. These awesome multi-million-dollar sailboats, 70-feet in length started back in November of 2005 in Vigo Spain making several stops along the way to Baltimore harbor a week ago. This past weekend they started the 6th leg of the race at Thomas Light House and sailed North to a marker at the Bay Bridge and then around the marker and back down south and then onto NY. The final 11th leg or the race will land the boats in Gothenburg some time from now.

The boats had a designated area to sail but they did not have to follow it if the wind they needed was not there so they came right through the thousands of boats that were spectating and cheering. The boats sailed so close to us we could have gave them a "high-five" on a few different occasions. Check out the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK Here are the actual volvo70 boats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Black Pearl Baby! The U.S. Boat. Though not scorning very well doesn't she look awesome!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ahhh my wife :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Looks like a fun day out! Great captures!

Rob

4. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nice shots of some pretty awesome boats! Looks like it was a great day to be out on the water. Having one of those hotshot racers swoop by would be very exciting indeed.

Are you a sailor? The people I sailed with (all REALLY keen) would cringe at the sight/thought of that baggy sail in the second last shot being posted. Too funny!

5. MyCameraEye

MyCameraEye TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments. Well that was our sail just as we were about to haul it in. As you can see, the jib has already been hauled in. We were in the channel heading in-shore and we lost our wind.

I sail and powerboat. I do not own a sailboat but I own a 2006 fishing boat.

Scott

6. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool shots Man. Must be a blast out there on the water. Some pretty amazin lookin boats.