ArtphotoasiA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.corradoprever.photos
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all…

I was out yesterday freezing my hand near the river in my city shooting some pictures to the river in the fog (not a good fog actually so quite useless trip) and it comes to my mind another interesting topic after ‘light or shadow’ that had quite a good success in the forum.

The point is this one…

Are you waiting for the right second and waiting in one precise place that the right image comes to you or you walk around all day looking for different points of view and subject?

Speaking of Travel Photography are you looking around all day in a new city or stop by an interesting place waiting for something to happen?

Speaking of going out nearby your place shooting ?

Regards

Depends, and sometimes a combination of the two.

Going walkabout is how you locate interesting things [and people] to photograph. In some instances a possible print may be initially seen in less-than-ideal lighting or might need a cloud-filled sky or ...

'Nuff said.

I walk around and take as many snaps as possible, even if the scene and moment is ideal.. and then I select the best ones at home..

Good question. I do am almost out everyday doing a hike. I always have a camera of some sort along.
Sometimes something fantastic appears due to lighting or a situation.

Sometimes, it is a dud.

I am not good at sitting and waiting in one spot [unless tired]. So I keep moving.

I've found wonderful opportunities that way.

I carry a d-SLR with me wherever I go, but 95% of my good images that were made outside were planned for, rather than stumbled upon.

I knew what time of year and what time of day the light would be to my advantage, whichever location I would be using/going to, and I work from a shot list made before leaving the house.

Summer has the fewest good shooting hours in the day and those good hours (morning, evening) are split by a long mid-day that it's best to do something inside like post processing or studio work, because the light is to harsh unless you have some good sized diffusers or scrims.

Winter gives the most outdoor shooting hours, light wise. At my latitude (42°) virtually the entire day can be used. Unfortunately, around here there's a lot less color, many overcast days, and it can get dangerously cold, until Spring.

Summer has the fewest good shooting hours in the day and those good hours (morning, evening) are split by a long mid-day that it's best to do something inside like post processing or studio work, because the light is to harsh unless you have some good sized diffusers or scrims.

off topic I know - but scrims - as in scrim netting?

I'm reading.... nice post all!

basically I got a plan... but shoots comes to me by themself.

Depends, and sometimes a combination of the two.

Going walkabout is how you locate interesting things [and people] to photograph. In some instances a possible print may be initially seen in less-than-ideal lighting or might need a cloud-filled sky or ...

'Nuff said.

+1

It is a good idea to always carry a small notepad to write down info on locations and when to return, etc. if they are no good the day you are there. And patience is a tool that should be in every photog's bag. :D

Well I shoot areas/subjects several times over different time periods to get the one (sometimes more) shot till, I get what I consider the best shot for it. Might sound weird to some people but, I have always shot that way.

It depends entirely if you can predict something is going to happen. I'll typically just keep my camera with me, but if there is an expectation that something will happen then I'll sit and wait and see of the shot eventuates. Normally I'd have an opinion of what I want in my mind already, and typically I imagine this would be the opinion of anyone who has ever sat around waiting for a sunrise Sunrise on Flickr - Photo Sharing!.

In a more extreme example after another sunrise shoot I was walking along the beach and saw a flock of seagulls. In the far distance I could see two joggers come towards me, and just got out the camera and sat down for 5 minutes waiting.
Sure enough 5 min later The Flock on Flickr - Photo Sharing! the flock took off when the joggers got close.

This is typical of all things nature I imagine. If you want a photo of a cat licking itself, it's wise to sit with the camera and simply wait till it finishes eating, because that's what cats do after feeding. Or if you want a good shot of a particular animal at the zoo. I think I spent about 4 hours at the zoo last weekend, and 1 full hour was at the red panda cage. They were running everywhere except straight towards me which is what I wanted.

Waiting pays off but only if you know what you're waiting for.

Waiting pays off but only if you know what you're waiting for.

:lmao:

Thanks for the laugh. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good point but one that is so obvious to me I would never have thought of mentioning it.

off topic I know - but scrims - as in scrim netting?
Yep, a scrim is a fine wire mesh available in difference strengths and sizes, placed to decrease the intensity of sunlight on the subject. California-Sunbounce is a popular brand for large standalone scrims up to 12 feet by 12 feet.

I have gotten some of my best street photography shots by finding a spot that has interesting light and action. Then I basically wait for someone to walk into it. That can be an intersection, a place where people step up to a counter or out of a store, or just simply a reflection off a window onto a sidewalk.

I'm not a landscape or architecture shooter, but I know it's about getting the right light. Half the time I see a shot like that, and I know it would have been better at some other time in the day. If I get a good shot, I know good timing had a lot to do with it.

When traveling I am invariably limited by the group I'm with (kids, parents, wife - in order of patience) and how much of the destination I want to see. My desire to take a good photo needs to gel with my desire to see and experience a place.

Most reactions

Back