Wanna Shoot Here, Pay Up!

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Not as dire as the upset photographer portrays. Visits to public parks with attractive sites are often ruined by commercial photographers who take over spots for hours for the price of general admission. Popular park wedding shoot sites in Toronto and in other parks charge and schedule access. The photographer kvetching here about charges believes public=free. Plainly not applicable to casual shooting.

Last edited:
To add some details to this, the PetaPixel article (updated on Apr 2, 2024) includes the current fee of $90 US ($120 Canadian) and notes that the Deputy Mayor's office offered to waive the fee. But the problem probably came about due to the method of communication used. The photographer emailed the township and the reply was by email. I expect the emailed "conversation" was terse and to the point and without any particular emotion. When we talk on the phone or in person, we tend to get more personable interaction. Also, it is not clear if that $90 was for a single day or for a season. For a single day, yeah, I think that sounds a bit high.

To add some details to this, the PetaPixel article (updated on Apr 2, 2024) includes the current fee of $90 US ($120 Canadian) and notes that the Deputy Mayor's office offered to waive the fee. But the problem probably came about due to the method of communication used. The photographer emailed the township and the reply was by email. I expect the emailed "conversation" was terse and to the point and without any particular emotion. When we talk on the phone or in person, we tend to get more personable interaction. Also, it is not clear if that $90 was for a single day or for a season. For a single day, yeah, I think that sounds a bit high.
Wasn't obvious that the OP was truthful about the real issue: non-payment of commercial shooter fees. Have seen far too many cheap wedding shooters sneak into pay venues or take over general admission public spaces. I have a problem with both issues.

Most reactions

Back