Want to play with a Slave....

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any suggestions for one of the least expensive slave flashes to use with a couple of Cactus Triggers? - I have a Canon XSI and a Promaster 7200 EDF flash and I dont' think that can be used as a slave flash unit ..

tks,

r

The Cactus trigger should work just fine with that camera & flash.

Keep in mind that the flash will have to be controlled manually, and you'll likely need/want to have the camera in manual mode as well.

The Cactus trigger should work just fine with that camera & flash.

Keep in mind that the flash will have to be controlled manually, and you'll likely need/want to have the camera in manual mode as well.

By 'controlled', you mean the flash settings, correct?

Cacti are on the way, and that's good to know cuz I was told that the 'majority' of the Promasters can't be used as slaves .. should open up a whole new area of photography, huh? :mrgreen:

Thanks Mike...

r

By 'controlled', you mean the flash settings, correct?
Yes, you will have to figure out the settings required and adjust them yourself (no auto metering etc)

I was told that the 'majority' of the Promasters can't be used as slaves
I'm guessing that they mean they don't work with Canon's proprietary wireless system. A simple radio trigger just triggers the flash to fire...so it should work.

Does the flash have manual controls? (can the power be adjusted manually?)....some flashes don't have this feature so they will just fire at full power when not on the camera. That's OK, just a little less versatile.

Actually, there are apparently quite a few flashes that don't work with Cactus V4's. I bought a Nissin di466 (I think...might have been the 622) last year. A couple months later I bought the strobist set from MPEX, and discovered that that flash wasn't compatible with the V4s. Apparently it was because the Cactus only triggers through the central contact, and the Nissin flashes trigger through one of the side contacts. I've ended up using that one only as an optical slave.

I don't know specifically about the Promaster flash though, unfortunately.

Mel

Yes, this one has settings on the back for adjustment.. It wasn't an expensive one to begin with - I think I paid about $130 for it a while back.. I'll dig up the manual ( I keep everything ) and check out various settings..

If it works with the triggers, then I've found a relatively inexpensive unit that I can get another one or two later on...

tks,

r

the title of this thread would probably freak those who don't know about flash slaves, out.
haha

the title of this thread would probably freak those who don't know about flash slaves, out.
haha
:shock:
:lol:

If it works with the triggers, then I've found a relatively inexpensive unit that I can get another one or two later on...
I don't know about the new V4 set, but I've got a couple of the older sets. They do/did work but are not reliable. I ended up going with a set of Cyber Syncs and they have been 100% reliable.

haha

Wellllll, that certainly wasn't my intent ........................... snicker, snicker.. ;) Ya know - the more people you can get to open the post, the more information you receive.. (In theory).. Wonder if I would have rec'd as many hits if I had titled it....

"Excuse me - I have an inquiry regarding supplimental illumination devices" .. :mrgreen:

On 2nd thought - THAT would have probably freaked some folks out too..

r

I have a set of V4's on the way, so I hope to see just how reliable they are. Reviews I've seen on them have been pretty good, but who knows.

Ottor, if you want a really cheap flash to play with off-camera, check this out: Flickr: Discussing Strobist friendly flash on the cheap - Less than $36 in Strobist.com (originally posted at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ery/191368-budget-flash-similar-sb-600-a.html ). The Canon ones are still in stock and you can't beat $36 for a flash to play with. They have full manual, zoom, etc.

Lol. Sorry, just checked up on my recent posts for any replies. And yeah, I think not (another title = same hits).

zombie_thread.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back