wanted canon SLR EOS camera

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by totiegirl, Sep 1, 2005.

1. totiegirl

totiegirl TPF Noob!

I'm bodly asking for help...i'm a missionary girl who regularly ministers to orphan children in Russia and will be going to Papua for the first time this november to a new orphanage. I really want to have a canon SLR EOS digital camera to capture the moments with the children. I already have a kodak easyshare digital 3 mp, which takes ok shots but nothing compared to the quality I desire. I just really want to be able to bless the children through sending them photos of themselves and also using the shots for telling as many people I can about these amazing children. oh and I'm from Australia so I'll happily cover any postage costs. If anyone has one they no longer need and would willing pass it to me, I'd be extremely grateful. my email is ausgem1@yahoo.com.au. thank you xx

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can definately understand your desire for high image quality.

The children, and most people in the world will hardly notice the difference between well taken 3 mp images and images from a higher quality camera. Good luck on finding a better camera, but if you have to use the 3 mp Kodak don't let it slow you down. With your drive it can do the job.

3. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    there is nothing wrong with a 3MP Kodak camera. I agree with Matt - the kids won't know the difference! They would be happier being able to see themselves on the back of a camera.

You can always pick them up very cheap on ebay anyway...

$150 - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-Re...542265194QQcategoryZ15235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$20 body - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANON-EOS-75...542311795QQcategoryZ15235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$40 - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-30...542381102QQcategoryZ15235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$20 - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANON-EOS-10...542629570QQcategoryZ15235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

99c! - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANNON-EOS-3...543346187QQcategoryZ15235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. totiegirl

totiegirl TPF Noob!

thanks for the advice..and the links. Your right about the children wanting to see themselves on the camera..they go crazy with it. I particularly want a better quality because I also use the photos for publication, newsletters and dvds to show the world about these kids. I'm still learning about cameras so I'd be happy with any type of digital SLR, I just requested canon because its the only one I knew of. Soooooo...if any one has an older one they no longer need, I would be forever grateful to you. Thanks totiegirl xx

5. Smith2688

Smith2688 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :/ I have no DSLR.

What organization do you work with/for?

6. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

Nobody will trust a complete stranger who's first post is asking for a piece of expensive equipment. Why haven't your charity given you a proper email?

If you can substanciate your charity claims and get the backing of the organisation, go directly to Canon - they'll be happy to donate to a good cause.

I'm supprised this thread has been allowed to stay for so long.

7. totiegirl

totiegirl TPF Noob!

I go to russia with an organisation called 'Kids outreach International'...you can check out the website at www.kidsoutreach.org click on newsletters then 2004 newsletter and scroll down to pg 6. You can then read about our australian team in Novosibirsk. Currently we are the only people in the world invited into this area to minister to these children.

I have asked canon australia to donate to our team but they didn't even reply.

I understand that you would be unsure about my credibility, if anyone is willing to give for the benefit of the children, then I can happily supply you with confirmation from the organisation or my church pastor. You know there are still some good hearted people in the world...not everyone is out to get all they can, some still give. Cheers..totiegirl xx

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about a film SLR? You can pick up a Ricoh KR-5 or KR-10 for about $30 on Ebay. It'll take great photos, although the kids won't be able to see them on the back of the camera.

9. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

I have a Ricoh KR-10,it's a good camera.

10. totiegirl

totiegirl TPF Noob!

I need a digital simply because I can't afford film processing. I print out photos as I need them to send to the kids, and this year my team mate took his laptop so I was able to take photos from last year on disk to show them. And 'cause I love watching the kids 'see' themselves as soon as I take the shot, as I don't get to see alot of these kids again.

11. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    I HIGHLY doubt anyone is going to GIVE you a DSLR.

It took me about 18months to save for mine. People don't have that kind of money to throw away on a camera just to give away.

And by the way you said you want it for publications, newsletters and DVD's in a later post to the first.

You didn't mention that in the first, and I think that is very rude. Someone could have given you a camera to make the kids happy, and you are there sending photos and using them for other reasons to what you stated.

I think a 3MP camera would be adequate for what you need it for. And if not, buy a film SLR. They are as cheap as anything, easy to get, and film processing seriously isn't THAT much. How many pictures would you be planning on taking for promotional purposes?

12. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

If you approached Canon as you did this forum, I'm not surprised they didn't respond.

Speak to someone in the organisation that's used to approaching people and companies on charity business and get them to approach the big co's. Afterall, the camera should be donated to the charity not just to someone that occasionally volunteers for them.

I'm even more amazed that this thread is still here. :lol: