Water for mixing Chemistry

Why don't you start with Ilford PDF about Delta 100 ?
You will find there exact info for Exposure Index of 50, 100 and 200.
That is better than confusing mumbo jumbo of the MDC.

Sparky, I'm sorry but I don't completely understand about the different ISO's. There are a whole bunch of different ones for the same film. Are these development times for those who intentionally shoot the film at a different ISO and therefore a different development time? I am not clear. Take a look at Ilford Delta 100 Pro for example. What would I follow if I were doing it all as an average no special effects roll.

A given film might be 'rated' by the manufacturer at, say, ISO 100, but there's no law that says you have to expose the film at ISO 100. You're free to rate it at 25, 64, 125, 80, 50, 120, 320 or even 400 if you wish. Using ISO 100 is the manufacturer's suggested starting point.

If you find exposing it at ISO 100 tends to overexpose your images given your gear, your metering & exposure techniques, all in combination with your processing the film (time, temp, developer, mix ratio, agitation etc), you would want to increase your rating of the film to 125, 164 or even 200 in order to get better results.

On the other hand, if you consistently get 'thin' (underexposed) negs, you'd want to drop your rating of the film to 80, 64 or even 50, whichever gives you the results you want.

Shooting film is a lot like cooking. You might find a great recipe for something you like to eat, but that's far the the ONLY way to prepare that particular dish. You're free to change the temperature, time, seasonings, etc. To suit your palate. The film manufacturers give you their suggested recipes, but there's no law broken if you alter it.

Nice comparison to cooking. Yes, Darkroom Cookbook by S. Anchell is a good read. Now even freely available (third edition) on the net. (Not sure of legality of that, thus no link)

Thanks all. I'm getting the idea. I am about to step into a darkroom for the first time in forty years and I am very excited. It may be modest to some but I have built the darkroom of my dreams and it is almost finished. Four foot darkroom sink with fifteen feet of countertop space. Electric outlet where I need them with switched safelights, two enlargers and a whole load of darkroom stuff that came as a package deal with the water valve I bought. I am excited about getting the final touches done so I can actually use it. And that will hopefully be this next week!

Good luck !!

Thanks all. I'm getting the idea. I am about to step into a darkroom for the first time in forty years and I am very excited. It may be modest to some but I have built the darkroom of my dreams and it is almost finished. Four foot darkroom sink with fifteen feet of countertop space. Electric outlet where I need them with switched safelights, two enlargers and a whole load of darkroom stuff that came as a package deal with the water valve I bought. I am excited about getting the final touches done so I can actually use it. And that will hopefully be this next week!

And we're excited for you! :) Keep us updated!

Of course, we'll demand the requisite photos.......... :allteeth:

Well I have been away from the forum for a couple of weeks with some personal issues. The darkroom is finished with a few loose ends to finish up. I'm quickly learning what I should have done differently and what has to be changed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back