Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by xfloggingkylex, Jul 25, 2006.

1. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey, this is my first time posting in the critique section. These were taken today at cunninghamfalls in Frederick county Maryland. I am shooting with a Pentax *istDL with kit glass (18-55 3.5-5.6). ISO 200 for all of them. I realize there is some dust due to shooting at such a tight aperture, but I dont have an ND filter (I've only had my camera a little more than a month) and am just getting into photography.

1.[​IMG]
    1/6second
    f/22

2.[​IMG]
    1/2second
    f/38

3.[​IMG]
    1/2 second
    f/38

I'm looking for general critique, anything you feel you need to say, say it. Specifically I am looking for attractiveness (for your eyes) as well as composition since I am a new photopgrapher. Thanks, I hope you enjoy.

2. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW! Overall, these are great captures. Very well done. Focus and composition are splendid. A couple of areas have lost detail in the shadows, but that was a necessary sacrifice. You're a noob and yet your first attempts are above the average. Well done!

3. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. Very nice job.

4. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies. I really wish I had an ND filter so I didn't have to have such a tight aperture. Also the third picture was slightly edited to clone out the dust in the water, and I also very slightly lightened up the rocks. The first two are untouched. Keep the advice coming :)

5. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

i like the 2nd and 3rd photos more then the first. the first one has too much dark area with no detail in the upper right corner. on top of that, i find the water in the 2nd and 3rd photos to be more interesting due to more changes of direction. F/38?? wow... the pics might have a little more pop with a slightly wider aperture, but maybe i'm wrong.

nice pics overall :)

6. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, ridiculously high, but to get the water effects I wanted without an ND filter and at the time of day I shot, that was I was left with. I was climbing the falls with a not fully healed broken foot (climbing in bear feet, since I was too dumb to bring a shoe to replace my walking cast) so I didn't want to stick around till sunset, since I had a mile hike back to my car down a busy road. I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind next time I go back there.

And thanks for you input on positions of the water. Photos 1 and 2 are actually of the same exact spot. I forget if 3 is the same or slightly up more.

7. wini

wini TPF Noob!