Waterfalls

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, this is my first time posting in the critique section. These were taken today at cunninghamfalls in Frederick county Maryland. I am shooting with a Pentax *istDL with kit glass (18-55 3.5-5.6). ISO 200 for all of them. I realize there is some dust due to shooting at such a tight aperture, but I dont have an ND filter (I've only had my camera a little more than a month) and am just getting into photography.

choice2.jpg

1/6second
f/22

choice1.jpg

1/2second
f/38

NTPC16motion.jpg

1/2 second
f/38

I'm looking for general critique, anything you feel you need to say, say it. Specifically I am looking for attractiveness (for your eyes) as well as composition since I am a new photopgrapher. Thanks, I hope you enjoy.

xfloggingkylex said:
Hey, this is my first time posting in the critique section. These were taken today at cunninghamfalls in Frederick county Maryland. I am shooting with a Pentax *istDL with kit glass (18-55 3.5-5.6). ISO 200 for all of them. I realize there is some dust due to shooting at such a tight aperture, but I dont have an ND filter (I've only had my camera a little more than a month) and am just getting into photography.

I'm looking for general critique, anything you feel you need to say, say it. Specifically I am looking for attractiveness (for your eyes) as well as composition since I am a new photopgrapher. Thanks, I hope you enjoy.
WOW! Overall, these are great captures. Very well done. Focus and composition are splendid. A couple of areas have lost detail in the shadows, but that was a necessary sacrifice. You're a noob and yet your first attempts are above the average. Well done!

Thanks for the replies. I really wish I had an ND filter so I didn't have to have such a tight aperture. Also the third picture was slightly edited to clone out the dust in the water, and I also very slightly lightened up the rocks. The first two are untouched. Keep the advice coming :)

i like the 2nd and 3rd photos more then the first. the first one has too much dark area with no detail in the upper right corner. on top of that, i find the water in the 2nd and 3rd photos to be more interesting due to more changes of direction. F/38?? wow... the pics might have a little more pop with a slightly wider aperture, but maybe i'm wrong.

nice pics overall :)

meotter said:
i like the 2nd and 3rd photos more then the first. the first one has too much dark area with no detail in the upper right corner. on top of that, i find the water in the 2nd and 3rd photos to be more interesting due to more changes of direction. F/38?? wow... the pics might have a little more pop with a slightly wider aperture, but maybe i'm wrong.

nice pics overall :)

yeah, ridiculously high, but to get the water effects I wanted without an ND filter and at the time of day I shot, that was I was left with. I was climbing the falls with a not fully healed broken foot (climbing in bear feet, since I was too dumb to bring a shoe to replace my walking cast) so I didn't want to stick around till sunset, since I had a mile hike back to my car down a busy road. I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind next time I go back there.

And thanks for you input on positions of the water. Photos 1 and 2 are actually of the same exact spot. I forget if 3 is the same or slightly up more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back