Photos OK to edit
Flies that is:

P1030813sm.jpg

P1030809sm.jpg

P1030808sm.jpg

P1030818sm.jpg

P1030819sm.jpg

P1030815sm.jpg

All shots are taken with a Helios 58/2 Russian lens & cropped.

I'm not a fan of the lighting, but nice photos of dragon flies!

Hmmmm .... maybe NSFW :)

I agree. The light is a bit harsh, but I love DF images :)

Agree with the rest about the lighting. I think a tighter crop on #4 would look very nice.

Did you up the saturation, brightness, and contrast in post? If so, I feel like you went a bit overboard on it. The highlights are really overblown, and the colors look unrealistic.

Bugs are hard to capture well, so kudos on being able to get clear images of them, that's the hard part.

I like #2 the most, and the way the grass shows through the almost transparent wings, beautiful :)

Insects & lighting do not cooperate in the wild & you gotta take what you get. These guys were all hanging out on the side of the pond opposite the sun so it was back-lighting or nothing.

#4 is already heavily cropped.

The highlights & green were reduced in post, the reds & darks boosted only a little. I usually have a problem with blown highlights even though I usually am using negative exposure compensation.

I like number 2 the most. I agree with you, you can't set up a lighting suite when you see a sight like this, it's shoot or miss, and good job on the shoot! I wouldn't have saturated the colours as much in post. Just brought out the dragonfly itself so the colours stand out from the backdrop.

I like number 2 the most. I agree with you, you can't set up a lighting suite when you see a sight like this, it's shoot or miss, and good job on the shoot! I wouldn't have saturated the colours as much in post. Just brought out the dragonfly itself so the colours stand out from the backdrop.

I only saturated the red & cut the green & increased the contrast so the wings would show better.

Most reactions

Back