Weddings & guest photographers who won't get out of the way!

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by William Petruzzo, Aug 17, 2009.

1. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I had a wedding this afternoon. I've never seen so many guests wanting to squeeze in to take pictures. At some times it was almost comical. As the bride was walking up the isle, I almost literally had to sit right in the middle because guests kept creeping out and getting in the way of the shot. It was seriously annoying.

One guest in particular was consistently getting in the way. I got the impression that he was trying to build his own portfolio or something to that effect. I can sympathize with that. Also, he was apparently a good friend of the bridal party.

After huffing and bitching in my mind about it for a good while, I eventually embraced the fact that his picture taking was going to be a part of their day and I decided to start getting some shots of him doing what he was doing.

Here's one I thought came out fairly well.

[​IMG]

2. vegasvisionstudios

vegasvisionstudios TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 3 reasons I don't shoot weddings

Bride, Mom and Guestzilla

3. shed301

shed301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    only3 reasons?.. i have about 30..lol

4. vegasvisionstudios

vegasvisionstudios TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Three was enough for me to figure out I did not need to stick around to discover the additional 27 :)

5. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That takes some guts and quick thinking. Good for you, I like the picture too. In the future you can ask the priest to ask the guests not to take pictures during critical points of your choosing.

6. CSR Studio

CSR Studio TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't have anything in your contract about others taking pictures?

7. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remembered reading all of the complaints from wedding photographers, so when my cousin's wedding came up I made sure to stay out of the pro's way. Hopefully my effort was noticed and appreciated.

(I would have the priest ask them not to take pictures during the ceremony period, as they are likely to get in the professional's way while he tries to do his job, as well as bother other people who are enjoying the ceremony.)

These are both great sounding options.

8. Ockie

Ockie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If they do that on weddings I shoot I just ask them to let me finish first... never had anyone being annoying (well, not because of taking photos in my way at least) after that anymore

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Those 2 things sound rediculous to the exteme. The last thing I want as a weding photographer is to have the priest announe to stat o ut of my way. I personally like to blend into the woowork and having the priest make an announcement like that would be bad. To put something in your contract to keep other people out of your way?? what right do you have to tell the friends and families of the couple that they can't take pictures??. As the professional photographer your job is jus that to be the pro and aunt millie with her disposable or cousin joe with his full professional package should not be a distraction to you. Part of being a pro is being able to overcome bstacles like this without having to resort to making a spectacle of yourself.

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those thing might sound extreme, but if your options are to either do that, or have aunt Millie's head in every shot, which is better for the B&G?

I do have such a clause in my contract, but I really prefer not to have to bring it up. I'm always conscious of trying to be nice to everybody at the wedding, including the annoying guests. But in some situations, you have a choice between being nice or doing your best to get great shots....and you're being paid to get the shots.

I've found that letting the B&G know about the issue can really help, as they are usually the best people to clue in their relatives. I get them on board during the pre-wedding meeting. After all, if Uncle Bob is constantly in the way, and distracting them away from your camera, it's their money that is being wasted.

11. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well for me I got so tired of DJs making announcements to the effect of "stay out of the photographers way" I would go to them as soon as I got to the reception and specificially ask them not to do that before the party even started.

12. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I do have that clause in my contract also. But it's not something I'm ever going to be quick to bring up. It's mostly there as an after-the-fact defense. For example, if some guest ruins the pictures, legally it falls on the bride and groom, not me.

Only in extreme cases would I actually say anything, and even then it would have to very tactful. I wouldn't want the priest or DJ calling attention to my presence, especially if there is a videographer there.

The guest in this photograph was clearly pretty new to things. Most photographers, amateur and pro, usually understand it's bad etiquette to bring your own prosumer gear to a wedding you weren't hired to cover. Both because you can get in the hired photographers way, and because of the possibility of taking future sales from the hired photographer.