Weekly challenge 10/2 - 10/8 On the Road Again EXTENDED through 10/15!

Phone pic along the way home tonight.
IMG-8836.jpg

In Europe we don't officially celebrate Halloween, in several European countries there is a festivity in mid-November where children go door-to-door, with lanterns and sometimes dressed as a fairy or angel, to sing songs and then get candy, so also a kind of trick or treat. Pumpkins, witches, etc. are unknown. This festivity is celebrated in certain Dutch provinces and the Dutch Antilles, we call it Sint Maarten, the origin seems to be quite different from Halloween.
We do here in the UK (albeit we're no longer part of Europe as such😉).

However, it's been all Americanised with this pumpkins and trick or treat nonsense. As a kid we'd hollow out a turnip, carve a face on it, put a wee candle inside and a carry string. It was usually combined with Guy Fawkes (see below) and we'd go door to door with an effigy of said Mr Fawkes, reciting poems, songs, jokes etc collecting money 'penny for the Guy.' The dummy of Guy would be burned on a bonfire on 4 November along with the setting off of fireworks to simulate the houses of parliament being bombed by Fawkes and his cronies.

Halcyon days I must say.

In Europe we don't officially celebrate Halloween, in several European countries there is a festivity in mid-November where children go door-to-door, with lanterns and sometimes dressed as a fairy or angel, to sing songs and then get candy, so also a kind of trick or treat. Pumpkins, witches, etc. are unknown. This festivity is celebrated in certain Dutch provinces and the Dutch Antilles, we call it Sint Maarten, the origin seems to be quite different from Halloween. I know it's pretty weird, but when on a holiday I want to visit cementaries.
Like most things, I'm sure we didn't invent it ... just commercialized it. That said, kids and adults alike enjoy Halloween. Who doesn't like getting into a costume and pretending to be someone or something else for a few hours?

Most reactions

Back