Weekly challenge 12/29 - 1/4 New Year new skills!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To kick off this year, we’ll focus on improving our skills beyond the basics. Our first challenge will be to improve our “eye”. Take a walk (around your house or around your town or around your favorite path) and find 3 interesting subjects. Use lighting that is in place. Any subject you like, including people. Compose carefully so you don’t have to crop. Look all around your viewfinder before pressing the shutter. Take the time to edit out distractions and ensure you’re not cutting off anything important. If you can, add a blurb about what attracted you to take the photo.

As always, new photos only please (except gk until he’s cleared for activity).

I'm not sure mine will be what SquarePeg intended, but it did get me to pick up the camera and go looking around. One of the golf balls I gave my dad caught my interest. When dad caught the golf bug, he went full addict. Years ago I tore out a small cattle pasture by his house and put in a couple of practice holes for him. Age and some recent health issues keep him from getting to an 'official' course like he used to, but he still practices at home. I got him some golf balls with the farm logo on one side and our onion company logo on the other side, so the first two photos are the result of that. The last photo is of what interests me, yet I rarely get to any more. I usually go catch-n-release (makes getting skunked easier to hide) and this is a replica of a brown trout I caught a few years back.
DSC_0998.jpg
DSC_1018.jpg
DSC_1043.jpg

This assignment reminds me of my "photo school" in the late 70's where one of the first assignments was to make 10 perfect black and white photographs of your own kitchen. I've exchanged my kitchen with the city of Brussels where we've been very often in the last 20 years. Rarely we take cameras with us, because we mainly visit this city to enjoy good food, museums and events, not to walk around like "tourists packed with cameras".
Photos: stairs in the Atomium, Marollen antiques and flea market, statue (detail) at Palace of Justice,

1comp.jpg

2comp.jpg

3comp.jpg

Squeezing in at the last minute, walking around the house without moving anything or adjusting light was trickier than it sounds. :aiwebs_016: No award winners here, but I told myself I am going to try and make time for these challenges.

Dragon-r.jpg
Glass in Glass-r.jpg
Sun Goddess.jpg

Most reactions

Back