Well, here it goes

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a photo shoot this weekend with a couple of my son's buddies (and their families). I had a bunch of tech issues, and a ton of location issues. By the time I got them converted from RAW to JPEG, I was just lost in them. These are the mom's favorite photos...I cant pick mine, but these arent them. :lmao: I have done minimal editing on these per parents request.

I learned ALOT this weekend, location, lighting, working with subjects, etc. I kind of hate showing these because I know I can do better, it was just much harder then I expected. They are much sharper in their original form, I think photobucket made them lose alot of that.

So c&c very welcome, I am a learning fool

1)
IMG_8483_DxO_RAW.jpg

2)
IMG_8443_DxO_RAW.jpg

3)
IMG_7992_DxO_RAW.jpg

4)
IMG_8454_DxO_RAW.jpg

I didnt mean to play down these photos, I just tried so hard and didnt get what I hoped for. But it was my first time shooting someone not in my family really. So big time practice for me.

I would love some feedback.

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for if you can't pp them? Or did I read that wrong?

#1 - Is my favorite of this series. I would crop a little off the top, and sharpen, but then you said these were all sharp on your computer, so skip that part.

#2 - Looks like a snapshot, many that I have of my children when they were little :)

#3 - Very cute pose, but the lighting is bad and looks like it needs to be cleaned up in pp, but here we go again.

#4 - Super cute pose, but to me this looks very OF, and the lighting behind him is too much.

These are nice try's! I don't understand why they don't want you to pp them? That is an odd request, but to each his own.

Thanks. I agree with your thoughts. i think they were afraid of the over processing that happens. I showed them via smugmug and asked them to tell me what they planned to order and I would process them...they just ordered them instead. I was like *doh*. lol

The parents loved them though, better then some actual professional photos they have had done in the past. Thats something.

Practice practice practice :)

They are much better than may recent studio shots, I am definately better with natural light...

Anyways, As mentioned I see a few lighting issues. However, I suspect most of the flaws are because you were frustrated from the issues you were having with equipment and such.

Keep trying, I have found that with each shoot and corresponding critiques I am improving, you'll get there!

Yeah c&c is so important. Everyone of my friends who have seen the photos from this shoot are gaga over my work, which makes me feel good. Everyone wants to "book" me...I'm free, no wonder. Actually people offer to pay me but I don't feel right about taking money because I am inconsistent and they are all friends anyways. But without other photographers looking at my work, I wouldn't really be able to improve because friends are all so kind and they might love a photo that still needs alot of work. ya know?

Congrats for getting out and tackling some tough subjects. You're right-- it is MUCH harder than it looks at first.

Since you seem ready for some serious CC, here are my thoughts....

1. I think the backlighting fooled your camera's meter. His face is underexposed. You could have used some fill flash or adjust the exposure so that he is properly exposed and the background would be overexposed. A much tighter crop would also help. There is an awful lot of "empty" space around a very cute little guy. Also, watch out for clipping off fingers. I know this can be tough to do when you are trailing little guys like this.

2. This has the same backlight/underexposure problem as #1.

3. The exposure is much better here, but the direct sun on the side of his face created some hot spots.

4. He is underexposed again.

I understand that the parents don't want a ton of PP-ing. They are probably picturing some plastic, magazine cover result. BUT... With a little PP-ing you can improve the exposure/crop and give them a much better photo without the "fake" look.

Just my 2 cents...

I did a photo shoot this weekend with a couple of my son's buddies (and their families). I had a bunch of tech issues, and a ton of location issues. By the time I got them converted from RAW to JPEG, I was just lost in them. These are the mom's favorite photos...I cant pick mine, but these arent them. :lmao: I have done minimal editing on these per parents request.

I learned ALOT this weekend, location, lighting, working with subjects, etc. I kind of hate showing these because I know I can do better, it was just much harder then I expected.

Yes, Kids are tough and I know exactly what you mean by "I kind of hate showing these because I know I can do better" I've been down that road me self :lmao: Mine looked horrible. Kids have a tendancy to do what they want when they want. I think you did quite well despite the afore mentioned exposure details.

My fave is #1

Thanks for the feedback. I agree Jen, I think I will just do the editing and then show the parents. I had underexposed on purpose knowing it was somewhat easier to fix then the hot spots, the lighting was pretty harsh. Do you think that is the way to go?

Battou - I did think it was going to be pretty easy, I take photos of my kids all the time. But it is very different chasing someone else's kid with a camera. I know the finger thing killed me...it is pretty much my fave photo from the bunch...except the fingers. Which of course the parents didn't notice

#2 !!! "Oh yeah! Uh-huh, That's Right!"

lol its like this was revived from the grave yard. #2 remains his moms favorite photo of him. Too bad I didnt know jack about fill flash at the time LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back