ndredsox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jacksonwade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone!

I have been going back and forth about getting a 40D or 50D since the day I bought my xsi. So I thought that I would sit on the idea for a few months and return to it this summer.
Well, I went into Best Buy today in Indy and was chatting with the local "geek" that I purchase all my Apple stuff from(easier to walk in a grab what you need and not battle the lines in a retail Apple store). He informed me that they were matching Amazon.com prices now and that they will also throw in an additional 20% on top of that.
So I grabbed my iPhone and showed him the browser with the pricing and he approved it. So I grabbed the 50D and ran(after I paid). Now I am super excited, but had a few questions.

Is the kit lens, the 28-135 IS usm any good? I purchased the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS usm already so most of the range is taken care of.

I do know that the xsi lens kit, 18-55, is not the best, but didn't know if there was any difference in the two kits. Is there? I didn't know if I could re-sale the kit lens from the xsi and get enough to buy a grip for the 50D.

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
that 70-300 lens is lacking there are much better lenses out there however it does work for certain things. just incase you plan on upgrading again past the 50d you cant use ef-s mounts might want to keep that in mind dont know much about the kit lenses though...but my thinking is most kit lenses arent usually worth it :(

Thanks for the input. It came down to the 70-300 vs. the 70-200 f4, and I went with the first since it had IS. I would like to step in to the "L" world soon, but don't think I am ready yet. You're right about the full frame body though....I don't see myself in a 1D or 5D anytime soon though.

It's funny that you say that. That is the first lens I threw on there when I opened it up. I setup some white poster boards with a direct light shining into them for a faux studio and had my wife sit for 100 shots. Amazing how much faster I can take shots with the 50D compared to the 3.5 fps on the xsi. I love my little $80 lens! :)

He informed me that they were matching Amazon.com prices now and that they will also throw in an additional 20% on top of that.

Do all Best Buys do that?!?! That's an awesome deal. If this is true at my local Best Buy I just might be stepping up to a 50d

damn dude, hell of a steal. forget running i would of called the cops because you robbed them

I got mine for $1,235 from Amazon and I paid $20 for next day delivery. I went to Best Buy in my town and they had the same camera marked at $1599. That coupled with 8% tax took it to about $1,726. I had already used my 10% Rewards Zone discount for the month on another purchase, but that would have only taken away the sales tax. I didn't ask about price matching with Amazon, but where on Amazon did you see them for $1,500? Or was that what you paid after tax?

Canon's USM lenses are generally good stuff. Personally, I'd keep the 18-55 because you're really lacking anything wide with the 28-135 and 70-300.

You just got an xsi for christmas and you blew 1500 bucks on a second camera? Why why why... Spend that $ on GLASS....

I didn't ask about price matching with Amazon, but where on Amazon did you see them for $1,500? Or was that what you paid after tax?

I also grabbed 2 8gb CF cards, the xsi uses the SD, so I have quite a few of those, but no CF. I think somewhere I saw an adapter that would allow you to throw the SD into a CF body and then use that. I don't know if I trust them or not. Plus, I put the money spent towards the Rewards Zone card, so maybe I will have some points for something in a few weeks.

You just got an xsi for christmas and you blew 1500 bucks on a second camera? Why why why... Spend that $ on GLASS....

I know I know...haha. Spur of the moment thing. I was up all last night reading online and I think I may even sell the xsi, but I know the loss would be crazy for something purchased less than 30 days ago. Wonder if anyone would consider any trades for the xsi. I would really like to get a wide angle lens.

First thing I thought. Looking at the differences between the two, I don't know that I could convince myself to switch up (if the goal is purely photographic purposes) bodies rather than drop the bones on two sharp lenses.

Still congratulations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back