What else could/should I do

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have two images here, I prefer 1 but the cobweb in 2 stands out more. I find that I am not great on composition and sometimes can never decide on what makes an image stronger.

Tips and Advice welcomed
Thanks

Moz Door PCrh (2 of 1)-4.jpg Moz Door PCrh (2 of 1)-3.jpg

If the cobwebs are the primary subject, taking at a much more oblique angle might make them stand out more.

I prefer the first for its better balance, but the cobweb is cut off, so I'd go somewhere in between.

I prefer the first for its better balance, but the cobweb is cut off, so I'd go somewhere in between.

When you say cut of do you mean because of the watermark or should I have left more door underneath. The theme I'm working on is windows, doors, knob & knockers, it's a club thing

.Door (1 of 1).jpg so same image (1) with no writing !

Why not take the best attributes of both and combine them into a better final image?

IOW: Shot #2, without your watermark, cropped in a similar manner to shot #1.

Easy-peasy.

Moz Door PCrh (2 of 1)-3 - Version 2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I think the balance in the first composition is better; there seems to be a little too much space in the second photo. I'd think about making copies of it and trying various crops (bottom and right side).

For the theme you mentioned the first one might work better. You could use the second one in a different way another time.

I like the texture of the painted door, that adds interest to the shapes in the composition (the doorknob and latch). Good choice of a subject for your purpose.

When you say cut of do you mean because of the watermark or should I have left more door underneath. The theme I'm working on is windows, doors, knob & knockers, it's a club thing

No, I meant cut off by the right side of the frame, but looking back at it I'm not sure it's actually cut off because it's pretty faint towards the edge, but I still think it's too close to the edge.

If you want to bring out the cobweb more, do a selective Levels or Curves adjustment over the cobweb to lighten the highlights. It shouldn't affect the dark paint behind the web enough to be noticeable.

Thanks I will try the things that were suggested. It seems like the texture in the first one is much softer then the other I don't know why would a change in light make the difference, I don't recall changing the point of view by much on the day. To make the web look different in the second I sprayed it with a little water.

This is how I would have done the shot...now this is just me, but hear me out. I would have set my camera on a tripod or monopod and composed the basic shot. Keep your DOF pretty shallow by using as fast an aperture you can. From there, I'd switch over to manual focus and focus on the web itself to isolate it.

Here's a picture I took that may help explain a bit better. Granted, I don't have a door in back of the webbing, but merely illustrating what I mean.

Web On The Green
Edward Calhoun - Raven's Sun Photography

1052357_586653511385396_1858154427_o.jpg

Thanks raven, I did have a tripod but I was limited with the aperture as I was in a bright area. Overall I was I went to that location purely as there was several unique doors there and the cobweb was a plus.

I did some other stuff in processing but I wasn't able to pull out the detail, ongoing project, anyway thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back