What film scanner?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by darin3200, Jan 17, 2006.

1. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I'm in need of a film scanner and could use some suggestions. It doesn't need to be some insane resolution, all I really need is a way to get my negatives on the internet without having to print 5x7s and scan them because printing a lot drives me nuts. Color doesn't need to be great, B&W all I really need. Also under $200 is preferable.

Thanks!

2. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a KonnicaMinolta DiMage Scan Dual IV that I like. I have also heard good things about the Plustek Opticfilm 7200.

It's kind of hard to find film scanners at low (<$500) prices, and these are about the only two I know of that are around $250. It seems to be a pretty unpopular price bracket for the manufacturers. But these two scnners are good (I know first hand with the Minolta, and I've heard from people about the Plustek).

I think there are also ones around the $50-100 range but their quality is probably not so great.

3. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Thanks, I'll look into those

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I own a Acer Scanwit 2720s that I've had good luck with. It's only 2700dpi, but does a decent job. That's the lowest I would go. It's SCSI, not USB, but comes with a card. Kind of old now, so I'm sure there's better out there, but it should be cheap if you need to go that way.

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Review.htm

2720S
    2740s with digital ICE

5. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I'm going to be different and recommend a flatbed, since you say you don't need high resolution and just want to get the images on the internet. A flatbed designed to handle negatives (with a negative holder and backlight) will cost less than a dedicated film scanner, may be quicker if it uses high-speed USB, and can handle 35mm negatives and slides as well as medium format. I use the CanoScan 8400F and scan 8 negs at a time, at 3200dpi. Here's a link to a similar post from a few days back; scroll down for an example of a negative scanned with this scanner...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38285

Obviously that's not the only option in flatbeds; Epson apparently do very good flatbeds with neg-scanning capability and I'm sure there are equally good ones from other manufacturers too. All I'm saying is don't automatically discount the flatbed option, especially if budget is a concern.