What filter to get for 24-105mm Canon Lens?

wh1ppet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought the 24-105mm F/4L lens for my 50D and have a few newbie question about it. I want to keep a filter on it for a "peace of mind".

1. Do most filters allow the lens cap to work properly?

2. Do filters interfere with the OEM lens hood?

3. Clear glass or UV? (only concerned about protection)

4. In low-light, can UV affect shutter speed at all?

5. What is the best filter for around $50?

Thanks in advance!

I recently bought the 24-105mm F/4L lens for my 50D and have a few newbie question about it. I want to keep a filter on it for a "peace of mind".

1. Do most filters allow the lens cap to work properly?
Yes.
2. Do filters interfere with the OEM lens hood?
No.
3. Clear glass or UV? (only concerned about protection)
Get a good quality coated UV filter. The coatings used will help cut down on lens flare and the good quality ones don't degrade the image quality of your photos.
4. In low-light, can UV affect shutter speed at all?
I don't believe it would...if you're using a good quality filter.
5. What is the best filter for around $50?
Sorry, can't help you there...I don't use UV filters.

Your camera has an internal filter that eliminates IR and UV rays. A UV filter doesn't accomplish anything. For lens protection, buy a high quality multi-coated clear glass filter.

Only filter I use is a B+W multicoated f-pro filter. They are recommended by the leica enthusiasts, so you know they are the best image quality wise. They are a little on the expensive side. But you paid over a grand for your glass. Why ruin it with a cheap UV filter?

Either get the best filters or don't put one on at all.... High end B+W filters are a good choice.

btw... Many Leica shooters will choose B+W in part because the odd filter sizes Leica uses on their smallish M-mount lenses. Many other manufacturers simply don't make them. I have B+W because most local stores can't get Leica branded ones nor would I care to spend the premium for the name.

Sorry, can't help you there...I don't use UV filters.
+1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Get a good CPL filter (circular polarizing filter) instead.

A CPL can actually improve the image quality (IQ) of any photos you make outside, a UV or clear can't.

A good CPL will cost more, but is one of the basic necessities of a good camera kit.

Rely on the lens hood, lens cap, and good camera/lens handeling technique to protect your lenses objective glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back