what is the cheapest way to take true 14mm photos?

briansommersd60

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know I can purchase a nikon full frame camera and a nice 14mm lens.

Is there any cheaper method to go about this?

All I want is to be able to take photographs with a true 14mm lens.
Every photo must be true 14mm angle.

Are there ways to do this without having to spend thousands on a full frame dslr and if so, how?

Thanks

You seem fixated on 14mm, can I ask why? Why not 12 or 13 or 15mm, there is a reason I ask, I'll explain if you do as they say

pick up a cheap 35mm Nikon film camera and a used Rokinon 14mm lens.

You seem fixated on 14mm, can I ask why? Why not 12 or 13 or 15mm, there is a reason I ask, I'll explain if you do as they say
Because at 15mm there is a simple solution. Nikon 1.5x crop plus a 10-20mm lens (effective 15-30mm) and then take a step forward.

At 14mm on a 1.5x crop you need a 9mm lens or a FF w/14mm.

OP could always buy used ... it's cheaper than new. OP could save thousands on a used d600 FF body.

btw, Nikon did make a 13mm f/5.6 lens at one time just in case OP wants to rephrase your question to something more impossible.

Because at 15mm there is a simple solution. Nikon 1.5x crop plus a 10-20mm lens (effective 15-30mm) and then take a step forward.

At 14mm on a 1.5x crop you need a 9mm lens or a FF w/14mm.

OP could always buy used ... it's cheaper than new. OP could save thousands on a used d600 FF body.

btw, Nikon did make a 13mm f/5.6 lens at one time just in case OP wants to rephrase your question to something more impossible.

Well that doesn't really add up as sigma do an 8-16mm also that at just over 9mm will equate to 14mm fov on a crop

I know I can purchase a nikon full frame camera and a nice 14mm lens.

Is there any cheaper method to go about this?

All I want is to be able to take photographs with a true 14mm lens.
Every photo must be true 14mm angle.

Are there ways to do this without having to spend thousands on a full frame dslr and if so, how?

Thanks
14mm is not an angle. A micro 4/3 camera with a 14mm lens will produce a 'true 14mm photo', though it's field of view will be quite different from a 14mm full frame. I've no doubt there are used working compact cameras with 14mm lenses (as part of their zoom range) that sell for under $5.

I assume what you are actually after is a 14mm full frame equivalent field of view, and perhaps a rectilinear rather than fish eye version.

A 7mm rectilinear is available for micro 4/3 (giving 14mm EFL) but its not a cheap lens (no UWA will be) the cheapest way is to stitch multiple images. You can use any camera lens for this (it just changes the number of shots you need to combine) & can even use free software for the stitching (Microsoft ICE is easy to use).

Well that doesn't really add up as sigma do an 8-16mm also that at just over 9mm will equate to 14mm fov on a crop
Did not know that .. guess that is the answer for the OP - the sigma 8-16mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back