What is the deal with these prices?? Good deal or scam??

I got scammed a while back before I joined this forum. It has been a PITA, and I am sure will not recover much of the money.
I ended up selling all the stuff to Adorama for 70% of their resale price. Now I am sticking to reputable camera stores with good reseller rating only.
It was unfortunate, but it was a lesson well learned.

I ordered a lens a few months ago from a bargain website. I found it for $169 instead of the $199 that EVERY reputable place had it for. So I jumped on it, being an idiot. A few days after I placed the order, I get a voicemail that I need to cal them back to verify some info. I spend a day and a half trying to call them, only getting busy signals. Then I finally get through and this guy tries to verify my shipping info because 'my billing and shipping addresses were different'. I say, 'But they are the same.' He goes, ' Oh, I se that they are'. Then I get a 45 minute hard sell about all these add-ons I need to get. I can't get the guy to give up, and I don't want to hang up on the people that have my money and haven't given me anything yet. He finally quits and says they'll send it out soon. A week of m stomach turning over, because I'm sure I got scammed and am pissed, it finally arrives. Turn out I got charged a $25 'handling' fee. So that bring my total savings to $5 dollars, for 2 weeks of a PITA and stress. Only buy from reputable companies.

Adorama and B&H :thumbup:

cutting corners with the "super deal" places is a total ripoff....don't fatten their bottom line at your expense...

Well, as many of you have said, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. I figured that to be true in this case. I was just looking at various sites and found these guys were way cheaper. But their prices seemed too low, so I figured I'd ask.
I recently found out that many sites like this sell import versions, which are cheaper, but lack a US warranty. That could be a real problem when your new $600-$1500 camera breaks.:mrgreen:

I ordered a lens a few months ago from a bargain website. I found it for $169 instead of the $199 that EVERY reputable place had it for. So I jumped on it, being an idiot. A few days after I placed the order, I get a voicemail that I need to cal them back to verify some info. I spend a day and a half trying to call them, only getting busy signals. Then I finally get through and this guy tries to verify my shipping info because 'my billing and shipping addresses were different'. I say, 'But they are the same.' He goes, ' Oh, I se that they are'. Then I get a 45 minute hard sell about all these add-ons I need to get. I can't get the guy to give up, and I don't want to hang up on the people that have my money and haven't given me anything yet. He finally quits and says they'll send it out soon. A week of m stomach turning over, because I'm sure I got scammed and am pissed, it finally arrives. Turn out I got charged a $25 'handling' fee. So that bring my total savings to $5 dollars, for 2 weeks of a PITA and stress. Only buy from reputable companies.

and that was just trying to save $30...
lots of these sites lure people in with $2000 bodies that they "sell" for $400 :lol:

yup, i'm thinking gray market deal

Yeah man, I would stay away from those crazy arse sites because even though they are uber tempting, chances are, you're getting scammed.

I would tell you that if you are looking for a D90, perhaps you may want to give this a shot. Although its alittle dated technology wise, Best Buy is offering the D200 body for 649.99. I jumped on that and mine will be here Tuesday. Just figured I'd throw that out there cause it seemed like a good price for a great camera, from a Somewhat (LOL) reputable dealer...

Nikon - 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera - Body Only - D200 - Body Only

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back