What kind of lighting is this?

I don't think the softboxes are that big (I'd guess around 90x60cm) but they are really close. Since that is just a headshot, the softboxes can be as close as 1m or even closer.

This looks to me like a very large light source with the photographer standing right in front of it like it's a very large panel or an extremely large window like in the daylight studio. If you put up two, 4 x 6' panels together, right behind you,and shoot one or two strones through it, you'll get similar catchlights--pnes which fill most of the eyeball.

This looks to me like a very large light source with the photographer standing right in front of it like it's a very large panel or an extremely large window like in the daylight studio. If you put up two, 4 x 6' panels together, right behind you,and shoot one or two strones through it, you'll get similar catchlights--pnes which fill most of the eyeball.
You are absolutely right as always, I was looking an my phone and thought the photographers silhouette was a gap between two softboxes. It could be one of these Lastolite Hilites Hilite | Background and Background Support | Lastolite

Makes her look like she has snake eyes with those black slits.

Now why would you want your pictures to look like that? Her forehead looks practically orange (which could be due to makeup), her hair on one side is cut off... the framing and color need adjustment/improvement. Why not go for good instead of a technique or equipment that isn't going to necessarily make for good photos? Using that won't help if other things are off or basics aren't done well.

I don't think these are soft boxes, but rather a very large light source like a fabric scrim (panel) with the photographer standing directly in front of the center of the light source. I have seen a number of shots done this way with a very large catchlight that covers most of the eyeball and the photographer standing in front of the light source --which bisects that catchlight.that type of catchlight does drive from Venice amount of focus to the eyeballs themselves

We did this in another thread not long ago.

Same light, and Derrel's answer was the same then as it is this time.

Yes, now that I view it on my monitor I see that as well! That's a technique I haven't thought of. Definitely makes for a very soft and shadow-less image.

Makes her look like she has snake eyes with those black slits.

Now why would you want your pictures to look like that? Her forehead looks practically orange (which could be due to makeup), her hair on one side is cut off... the framing and color need adjustment/improvement. Why not go for good instead of a technique or equipment that isn't going to necessarily make for good photos? Using that won't help if other things are off or basics aren't done well.

It's a little snake like, sure, but I still like the look. And that crop was done by the girl, not the photographer. Couldn't find the original. As for her skin color, I'm friends with her IRL and her natural skin color is actually very similar to this. I think she's part hispanic and persian, or something like that.

We did this in another thread not long ago.

Same light, and Derrel's answer was the same then as it is this time.

And your comment helps, how?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back