What lens for portraits (Nikon)?...So confused...

LaLO929

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently been looking into getting a better lens for portrait photography. I want better clarity and more bokeh then what my current lens has to offer. I initially was drawn to the 50mm f/1.8 so I went to my local camera retailer to try it out today. The photographer/manager told me that it's not a portrait lens and he suggested the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I actually tried all 3 out on my camera to get a feel and I liked the 70-200. However as I continue to read up on other lenses I get more and more confused. I was looking at the 85mm f/1.8 tonight too. What lens would you suggest? I guess I am looking for some answers to my lens questions or maybe a different suggestion (to make me more confused--j/k) Oh yes, I am looking to spend under $800.

I do our family portraits so I'm far from very knowledgeable - but it's late and I can't sleep so I figured I'd respond.

I've had really good luck with the Sigma line and currently use both the 18-50 f/2.8 HSM Macro and the 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II Macro lenses.

I'm also interested in the 85 or 105 series but have no experience with either of those. I've had the 50mm f/1.8 in the past and just found it too wide really, which is why I normally use my 70-200 around the f/8 range.

It looks like you only have the 18-55 kit lens. Other than being a slow lens. The 55mm end of it is in the right range for normal portraits. Most people use anywhere from about 70 mm up to 180mm for portraits, with 85mm or 105mm being the most common. Some go even longer (in terms of 35mm). So on a digital the sweet spot is between 50mm and about 70mm.

Here is what you need to know when deciding. A wider lens will tend to give some distortions to objects closer to the lens. For instance your using a 30mm lens (45 on digital). When you get close enough to fill the frame of the camera for a head shot. The nose will become prominent (look larger than it is). This is unflattering. Now if you use a longer lens. Say an 85mm (127mm on digital). You can fill the frame from further back. And get a more flattering picture of the individual.

Distance and angles plays a big role in portraits.

Since it appears you only have 1 lens. A 70-200 would be more usefull for other shooting situations. The 85mm f/1.8 even though it's the cheaper version will give you better quality at that range over the zoom lens. But your limited to just that range.

You could get the 70-200 now and the 85mm later. The 85mm f/1.8 has an attractive price point. I just picked up one even though we have a bag full of Nikon f/2.8 primes and zooms. It has very good reviews even up against its own big brother that is $1,000 more.

Get a 105mm f/2.5 AI/AI-S and a soft filter. The 105mm is enough but you'll like it with the soft filter too.\

It's a manual lens but works very well with your camera! (from experience ;))

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8

Really? I have never heard any one suggest a wide angle before. Can you elaborate? Im certinately not saying your wrong I would just like to hear why?

I personally have used my 17-40 but with not much luck. I have a 50mm 1.4 and a 100mm 2.8 and really like the results of both of those. I think most people would tell you to get any of these 50mm , 85mm, 100mm , 24-70mm, 70-200, and 135mm range. All would be great but the 70-200 may be the best bet for all around use.

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8

Really? I have never heard any one suggest a wide angle before. Can you elaborate? Im certinately not saying your wrong I would just like to hear why?

I personally have used my 17-40 but with not much luck. I have a 50mm 1.4 and a 100mm 2.8 and really like the results of both of those. I think most people would tell you to get any of these 50mm , 85mm, 100mm , 24-70mm, 70-200, and 135mm range. All would be great but the 70-200 may be the best bet for all around use.
lol don't take it too seriously, it's joke.

But the manager suggest a 17-50 2.8 over a 50 1.8 as a portrait lens?

He was telling you that one because it has commission on it, the 50's don't, if you bought it, you would have been had.

the 50 1.8 is a GREAT option for portraiture if you're just starting out. It's cheap, fast, and sharp. The 85mm is also a great option too.

IMO the 70-200's are unnecessarily big, and they're more intimidating for the subject.

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8

:p hahaha :] yeah its a joke and all but a 14-24 might come in handy for full body shots... and more artistic shots where your model's outfit/costume really matches the scene and you wanna capture both the model AND the setting. and i mean like capture a LOT of the setting.

awesome. we have the same camera and situation. i'm probably gonna pick up the 50/1.8 or 85/1.8 soon... dad's visiting Hong Kong and lenses can be a LOT cheaper there.

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8

:p hahaha :] yeah its a joke and all but a 14-24 might come in handy for full body shots... and more artistic shots where your model's outfit/costume really matches the scene and you wanna capture both the model AND the setting. and i mean like capture a LOT of the setting.

awesome. we have the same camera and situation. i'm probably gonna pick up the 50/1.8 or 85/1.8 soon... dad's visiting Hong Kong and lenses can be a LOT cheaper there.

really? they just started nonstop flights to hong kong from Guam and i've been dying to go. DH went to Singapore and bought me a battery grip but said a lot of stores he went into had the fake stuff so you had to be careful. I'd love to get some good deals in hong kong so let me know how it works out with your dad there! :thumbup:

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8

lol don't take it too seriously, it's joke.

But the manager suggest a 17-50 2.8 over a 50 1.8 as a portrait lens?

He was telling you that one because it has commission on it, the 50's don't, if you bought it, you would have been had.

the 50 1.8 is a GREAT option for portraiture if you're just starting out. It's cheap, fast, and sharp. The 85mm is also a great option too.

IMO the 70-200's are unnecessarily big, and they're more intimidating for the subject.

LOL!!!! you know, i read this post a few days ago and wondered the EXACT same thing, why the salesman was trying to get her to buy a wide angle zoom for portraits... and I was going to reply to the post... but then I saw your reply and was like "hmm... he knows his stuff, maybe there is something I'm not aware of??" Relieved to know you were being sarcastic, I thought I had lost my mind! :lmao:

Sorry, I thought you were asking which lens I have wanted for quite some time, and drool over at the local shop.

For portraits, alot depends on how close you want your working distance to be, etc.
I would say a good place to be is the 85mm f/1.4. The 70-200 would be nice, it would allow you some movement with zoom vice your feet.

But But But
If you are just starting out, I'm pretty sure you won't be unhappy with the cheap 50mm f/1.8, it's almost so cheap it's disposable. It will also drive you to feet frame your subject.

Well, I'm leaning toward the 70-200 f/2.8...

Not sure of Nikon prices, but for your budget, you could most likely get the 50 and the 85...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back