What music do you other photographers listen to?

Seriously, it's a really tight album, Accelerate is. It's the best album R.E.M. has put out since the early to mid 80s. In fact, it might be their best yet. I hope they do a big tour.

It's probably their best album since maybe New Adventures in Hi-Fi, but by no means better than anything they did in the eighties. Put "Accelerate" and, say, "Murmur" in a boxing ring, and Murmur will kick Accelerate's butt every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Accelerate's tunes and musical approach are a welcome return to "form", but the lyrics really leave a lot to be desired. I liked it better when their lyrics were abstract and non-linear, not predictable and boring.

I am a loooong-time R.E.M. fan, by the way.

Ryan Huston is my favorite right now : ) Check him out if you like acoustical music

Matt Nathanson and Colbie Collet are awesome also :)

pretty much i listen to alternative stuff
i got Flogging Molly (Irish Rock) as my all time favorite
but theres also Gamma Ray (deemed "Epic Metal" by my friends)
Dragonforce (great sign spinning music)
Iron Maiden (nothing really needs to be said)
Daft Punk (also fun for spinning)
Sonata Arctica (slightly more mellow/weird Dragonforce)
Coheed and Cambria (great band, just avoid reading the lyrics)
The Aquabats (gotta love em)
The Skank Agents (some random ska band that opened to The Aquabats one time)
and any random indie bands that my brother "discovers"

If you like the 'epic metal' thing, give Kamelot a listen (The Black Halo in particular). Good stuff

Live music is best!

I listen to a huge meltingpot o' tunes.

Joy Division/New Order
Smiths
Radiohead
Modest Mouse
Zeppelin
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Rush
Journey
David Sylvian (of Japan fame)
Japan
Clash
The Cult (saw them live last year!)
Robert Fripp
Bauhaus / Peter Murphy / Love & Rockets
Elliot Smith
Elvis Costello
English Beat / General Public

lots of Jazz! (mostly the 'cool' era)

I used to be the Art Director for Relapse Records back in ’97, so I got into a lot of death metal, grindcore, etc. Discovered a lot of good stuff like...
Candiria
Coalesce
Converge
Trial of the Bow (formerly Disembowlment)
Xysma

Other lesser know stuff...
Posies
Agent Orange
Cabaret Voltaire
Ministry
Front 242
Nitzer Ebb
Audio Bullys
Art of Noise
Minor Threat
7 Seconds
GBH

but I mainly listen to electronic music House, Elctro House, D&B, chill...
Deadmau5
Alexkid
Armen van Helden
Praga Kahn
Bebel Gilberto (yes, that Gilberto)
Benassi Bros.
Sebastian Leger
Chris Lake
John Acquaviva

I could go on and on and on. My iTunes library is at about 10K + tracks. :sexywink:

I just found a wonderful live set by a band called Yeasayer

might interest you photographers as its set on a roof top with new york as a back drop!

These guys make such wonderful music! give it a listen!
http://pitchfork.tv/dont-look-down/yeasayer

My favourite bands though would most likely be
-Foals
-Battles
-Rapture
-Subways
-Biffy Clyro
-Late of the Pier
-Metronomy
-Mystery Jets
-Shy Child
-Tubelord

just some favs lately :)

hmmm well here is mine;

Classical
celtic and such (Enya, Loreena McKennitt)
game - yah music from computer games - some have really great songs
Nightwish
Withine Temptation
Film music

The rest is a collection of random bits!

I don't know any of the bands listed. But I don't go looking for music, either. Everything I listen to was found on the radio, or my friend had a CD, or I heard about a musician and went and downloaded a few songs off of Kazaa to see if I like (if I don't I delete, if I do, I buy).

Nine Inch Nails is still my favorite band of all time. The Downward Spiral is still my favorite album as well (though all NIN is great). And there's nothing wrong with Radiohead :) They're kind of weak, but they have a good sound.

My music depends on my mood:

Sad (most of the time): Nirvana, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, NIN, Everclear, Foo Fighters, new Johnny Cash (American Recordings stuff) etc.

Happy: Old school country, Beatles, Motown, etc.

Manic: Pantera, Soulfly, Sepultura, and anything else that most consider noise pollution.

And I enjoy classical, but I have to know who its by and something about it in order to enjoy it. Just listening to it on the radio doesn't do it for me. I find it hard to relate to without other outside information to accompany it. That being said, Chopin and Debussy are amazing no matter what the piece is. And Tchaikovsky's 6th is my ultimate favorite. Its so wonderfully depressing.

In 1988, I was laying on the floor in front of the speakers smoking a joint and listening to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb for the first time.

20 years later, I of course no longer smoke the stuff, have made my way through college, have a job with a decent position (as opposed to decent pay :D) in the 13th year of my employer's history, am married with 2 beautiful daughters and I still listen to something of Pink Floyd at least every 2 days.

Yesterday I drove in to town to help Mom out with some work on the house. About a 45 minute drive and I had Pink Floyd's album Animals in jamming it out on the 6 speaker + subwoofer sound system.

There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact.... it's all dark.

Most reactions

Back