What should I upgrage first? Camera or lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Destin, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Destin

Destin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am currently shooting a nikon d40 with a 55-200, 18-55, and 50 1.8, and I mainly shoot high school sports to sell the photos to parents. I also have an sb-600. I pretty much can't stand having low-end gear, but I'm a starving college student so cash is tight. I've been doing pretty good with what I have, but I know my gear is limiting me.

I currently have $800 to spend and I'm not sure if I should spring for a new body (d90), or a sigma 70-200 2.8. My plan is to get one, then use it to earn money to buy the other. Which one should I buy first and why?

I'm leaning towards the lens, just because shooting football with an f5.6 has been (nearly) impossible.

2. Neil S.

Neil S. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Normally I would say glass.

Thats a pretty old body though.

I recommend everyone step up to 12 MP+ now that it is easy to do so.

3. yepp

yepp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'm sorta in the market to upgrade to a dslr and am waiting to see what the d90 replacement will be like before I decide. I know I'm going with nikon because from the photo's i've seen they show better detail than canon (noticed canon's are brighter normally but it seemed to drown out the detail alittle in the few photo's i looked at). Don't know if you're willing to hold out on not buying the D90 because it's just about out of date in a few months but the choice is yours.

I originally started looking with the new Canon 2ti. Their lenses are so much cheaper. Then thought about the 60d; isn't quite what I'm looking for considering the price. The D90 or replacement and D5000 seem to be where I'm at. Guess I'll find out soon if the real specs get released soon. If I could afford it I'd go full frame (canon 5d looks amazing, haven't researched the nikon D700 much) because I've done a little research and really like wide-angle lense shots and landscape photography. Med-High ISO quality is important to me as well since I find my self wanting to take a lot of low light shots and my old sony CS p200 really doesn't cut it lol

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. photoface

photoface TPF Noob!

I think its better to go with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens now.I do understand the body is quite old but I would suggest to wait for few months so there will be new products in the market and than you might get some more choices and can consider buying it by christmas.

5. Sharfy

Sharfy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lense is a good investment ;) as told by my advisers....

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you upgrade your camera body and not the glass the light you have to work with will still the be the same as before, you might get a little improvement in image quality, but not much. You will of course gain improved ISO, AF and other features of upgrading your body, but the quality of your final results won't be massivly different.

Now if you upgrade the glass in front of the camera body you will get a big difference - a noticeable difference in the quality of your final results. I would say even though your camera body is older you would get more improvement with a new lens - that means a better product for you to sell to help finance toward a new camera body.

7. ghache

ghache TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think in his situation, a faster body would be better.
    what you need, faster/better autofocus, better iso.
    A 2.8 fast glass wont do miracle if shooting sports with a D40.
    You already have a 55-200 and that lens should be fine for outside sports and even inside if your using your sb-600

For really low light events, i would rent a lens since its cheap.

I would upgrade body, for 800 you can get a nice second hand body...or i would wait a few months to see whats coming out

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 does "okay" at elevated ISO settings...I think I would say go for the 70-200 lens first.

9. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. Destin

Destin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the responses guys, I think I've decided on getting the lens first, and then the camera in like 4-6 months. That way I have a shot at the d90 replacement if is out by then and worth it. As soon as my mountain bike sells on ebay I'll be ordering the lens.

11. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about saving up another couple of bills for the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8? I haven't compared the two, just a thought, but the Nikon optics, build and performance are good.
    80-200mm f/2.8 Lens Review by Thom Hogan

12. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure about the sigma 70-200, but the nikon 80-200 will not auto focus on your camera. So just keep that in mind, that can be challenging in sports photography.