What the hell, my lens is wrong?

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up a new lens today. The end of the lens says 35mm, but it's size, weight and field of view are telling me 135.

well with a littel research it is in fact to no surprise a 135mm lens. there is no mistake in reading the number, there is no 1, so it's not like it's worn off or scrached out. but it dose show some signs of having been taken apart.

100_2935.jpg

100_2941.jpg

My question is: is this a manufacturing error by Canon or do I have a frankenstine on my hands?

Well, yeah, I don't believe FL lenses are available new anymore, but the thing of it is, the person I bought it from always had perfect condition equipment, this is not a mistake he would make.

I would say the ring with the marking was previously on a 35mm lens. I can see where the retainer ring would have the same size and thread as a 105 or 135mm lens.

I'd say that it was the wrong ring as well. I would be curious about the lens being taken apart and being put back correctly.

I would say the ring with the marking was previously on a 35mm lens. I can see where the retainer ring would have the same size and thread as a 105 or 135mm lens.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind, but I am a little worried about it containing glass from a 35 mm lens.

If the retainer ring was damaged and needed to be replaced, it stands to reason the glass it holds needed replacing as well.

I suppose it is possible the people he has do repairs for him might have a surplus of parts that could result in this typ of oops, a 35mm 1:3.5 retainer ring in the drawer for 135mm 1:3.5 retainer rings would not be much of a strech, but I don't know anything about their facilities and workload and if that could be the case.

well, what I will likely do is take both 135mm I have out and shoot them and compare, If the lens is correct it might be worth keeping but, I'll have to see.

Is that a serial number between "1:3.5" and "Canon"? Is the S/N marked anywhere else on the lens (and does the number match)?

Most reactions

Back