What to look for when buying a USED D3?

cnutco

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be looking at a used D3 tomorrow to buy. What are some of the things I need to look for?

I will be taking...
laptop
24 - 70 f2.8
CF card​

Anything else?

Thanks, Lee!

Personally the way the camera looks should give you an idea how good it is.

I would make sure that you are not buying from someone sketchy. You must know the person or business name. If he has a D3, he better be a photographer. Avoid buying a stolen item at all cost.

The problem with cameras like the D3 is that they are often used by pros who are far less careful with their equipment then an amateur.

Check carefully for tiny dings in camera body which would indicate if it's been dropped. Scratches are okay, as long as they're in normal places (base, near straps).

Everything they said and see if you can get an actual shutter actuation count. Some of these pro's will drive the poor things to the ground and mileage will vary per body right.

I think if it were me I would wait, the announcement of the D4 is going to flood the market with bodies in a couple months if the rumors prove to be true.

Everything they said and see if you can get an actual shutter actuation count. Some of these pro's will drive the poor things to the ground and mileage will vary per body right.

I think if it were me I would wait, the announcement of the D4 is going to flood the market with bodies in a couple months if the rumors prove to be true.

I had him send me a pic of my name... and the count is VERY low! Oh, and about the D4, I can not pass this one up. That is why I want to make sure that I check it very thorough!!!

Shutter life projections for a D3 are 300,000 actuations.

I would test the AF in marginal conditions.

If the shutter count is low, it could well be the D3 has been used by an amateur rather than a pro. I know several not very advanced amateur photographers that have sufficient disposable income to casually buy top-of-the-line photography gear though they hardly ever use any of it.

Well...

This was an amateur photographer that had used a D3 in the military and wanted to continue using the same body when he returned home. This thing was hardly used! So, I bought it!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back