What was your first camera?

My very first camera as a young lad was a Brownie Star Flash. As a high school student my first SLR was a Pentax SL 1000, same as the Spotmatic but without a through the lens meter. I learned to expose with a Gossen Luna Pro hand held meter.

My first camera as a kid was a 110 instamatic with a flip flash! Then my dad let me use his old Argus C3 with a light meter and I was hooked. I got my first "real camera" in high school - a Canon AE1! I loved it! Still shoot Canon today! :wink:

Samsung AF1050 Compact. That's what got me started - it was a present for my 21st.
First SLR was a Canon EOS 500 in 1995 or thereabouts.
First Digital compact was a Nikon Coolpix 885.
First Digital SLR was a Canon Digital Rebel.

Praktica Nova PL I - I got from my dad, and now I use it to teach my kids how to use an SLR.

Mind you, looking at the dining room table I currently have 9 prakticas, a couple of Fujicas, a Pentax, a Rolleicord, a couple of Olympus Trips and 4 Canon EOS's so I could choose a new one for em - I need to get my ebay listings done really....

My first camera was a Fujifilm Finepix A330. It was a 3MP digital camera. It was pretty good to learn on, but I grew out of it very quickly. It was given to my mum last year with a 1GB memory card for her birthday as I had my S7000 - a creative SLR-Style compact. A great camera but again after time, I found the camera's restrictions were obvious and, after over 5 years of being 100% fujifilm, I switched to a canon 20D, and here I am!

-Got as a present two identic Werlissa's at the age of 9, the very same day; only one full black and the other black and metal. Cute point&shoot's with a funny aperture ring: three f-stops, one with an icon for sun, one for cloudy and one for grey rainy sky! The two people giving them didn't know about each other's intentions. Was this a signal for my future in photography...? ;)

-Borrowed from my uncle a Cavalier, the first SLR that I used. The lens didn't close down, so was always at 2.8. I decided to put my hands on it... and was able to fix it! Was this a signal for my future in camera (attempt to) repair...? ;)

-Finally, bought my own SLR, a Minolta X300, after months of saving for it. Went to a very nice shop where they have second hand as well, and followed the recommendations of the seller, who convinced me on this one over the Olympus I was looking at -not because of the model but because it was in better shape. The moment I put my hands and my eye on it was unforgettable! Was this a signal for my future as a compulsive camera seeker and (wish) buyer...? ;)

All three can be regarded my first camera.

A fujiFilm Finepix S5500

:D

Kodak Instamatic 124 with the flash cube. Took 12 (?) square shots per cartridge. I think.

My first camera was a really old (and terrible) P&S that took 110 film and had a disposable 4-sided rotating flash. Several years later, I "upgraded" to a Kodak Disk Camera, which may have been a marginal downgrade in most respects. Don't know what happened to the old P&S but I've kept all my other cameras for a museum drawer in my office.

My first decent camera was a Pentax K1000 which I got as a gift when I started taking a photo class in high school I still have it, still use it, and really love it. Not sure why totally, I think it's like the photo version of comfort food. I used the Pentax exclusively until recently when I updated my collection to a Canon Digital Rebel XT and a Hassleblad 500 C/M (for film).

My first camera was a Kodak Tele-Instamatic 110 that I received as a birthday gift. I remember carrying that thing with me everywhere I went. Next I got to borrow my mother's Minolta XD-11, which made me a Minolta fan for life. After that came a Minolta X-700, which unfortunately shuffled off this mortal coil. For a short while I was allowed the use of a Canon EOS Elan IIE, then a Powershot G5. I was finally able to get my own set of gear again back in '05 when I picked up a Minolta Maxxum 500si, followed by my current camera, a digital Maxxum 5D last year.

I still miss that old 110 though.

Whew - this is going back more than a few years....

First was some unknown/unremembered 110 (Kodak?) in the early 1970's. Next was a Canon 35mm "Snappy" P&S which was soon followed up with a Minolta X-700 - then several years later another X-700 (to replace the 1st one). I was GIVEN another X-700 which crashed so i sold the other X-700 and started buying Minolta SRT102s/202's.

I picked up a Olympus C-4000 along the way, but it was relegated to more domestic duty's and then a few AF Minolta 7000's and finally a Maxxum 7D.

Next? A Sony full-frame dslr in 2008!!!!

frank

Most reactions

New Topics

Back