What's a good upgrade from the Nikon D40X?

Coolpix P7700 is a good upgrade from the D40X ;)

^^^yeah, that too
icon10.gif

I don't know where this misconception is coming from that you can't use FX lenses on a DX camera. Yes, you can use FX glass on a DX camera. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, won't using FX lenses on a DX camera get rid of some of that blurring/unsharpening effect near the edge of the frame?

Would the D600 be a better choice over the 7100?

Maybe NOT, actually...the two are contemporaries...you might find that you prefer the 1.5x sensor of the new D7100. it also has very good High-ISO performance--far better than earlier APS-C cameras had.

And give up all that D600 dynamic range mad pow-ah!?
icon10.gif

Having an FX camera with only DX lenses is really a huge waste of money.

Crop mode on a d600 is going to get you, what? 12mp?

Now you could say "buy the d600 now and get the glass later!" But good glass is nearly a lifetime investment whereas bodies come and go in relatively short order. You'd be better off buying a lower tier cam like a d7000 and using the leftover to invest in your first FX lens. Then when you have a couple of those or better, start thinking about your first FX body.

It's a bummer to have to do it- trust me I put off an FX body by almost two years because of it, but I'm glad I did.

I had a D40 and loved it for years. When the D7000 came out, I gave my D40 to my son and bought it. What an excellent camera. I could have died happy until I got my hands on my daughter's 5D MK ii and discovered the full frame difference in low lights. It was over. I gave my D7000 to my son who gave his D40 to my youngest daughter and $7,000.00 later in lenses and a FX body. I am set.... For now...

One thing to take into consideration, well at least for me. Bodies will come and go. Lenses you buy only once. Buy the best lenses you can afford even if you decide to stay with a DX camera.... For now.. If you get serious, I bet you WILL move to the dark side and buy a full frame. When you do, you will already have some fast lenses. JMHO. But WTH do I know.....

If your serious about photography, and are planning to be the primary wedding photographer, or think you are serious about photography long termed, you want to go FX as soon as possible.. Don't invest in DX lenses. Sure you can use DX lenses on a FX body by handicapping the camera big time. A contemporary FX will outperform a contemporary DX... JD

Most reactions

Back