What's in your camera bag?

Well, of course it varies with what the shooting plan is and what "bag" I take (b/c I've got everything from a double-water bottle fanny pack to a full camera pack to a combo day pack-camera back pack to a converted messenger bag that holds a laptop too). But my most common "weapon of choice" is a Tamrac holster. It's mostly full of stuff and ready to go. The load that is usually in it in is:
--Nikon body
--50mm f1.4 prime
--a wide angle of some sort (lately it's been a 28-70mm)
--a third lens (usually some sort of longer zoom but this isn't big enough to hold my 200mm f2.8 bazooka unless the camera body goes on a black rapid sling, But my last excursion I had a fisheye in there instead of the zoom and the one before that I had a macro lens in there so go figure).
--micro fibre cloth and wipes
--small notebook and pen
--small LED light
--I will often throw my cell phone in there once I get packed
--2-3 extra SD cards
--extra battery
--very old granola bar, sometimes if I only carry two lens then I throw in a banana or bottle of water
--bag of baby wipes
--I think I've got a safety pin, a couple of paperclips, a very small bungee cord (6 inches) for attaching the camera to a post or fence, and a small clamp...usually try to have that stuff in the bag but sometimes it gets used during a shoot and not returned to the bag.
--bottle of bug spray (unless it's cold weather or I'm shooting inside)
--a couple of band-aids
--some aspirin
--a zip lock bag big enough to hold my body and lens in-case it starts raining
--sometimes I attach a gorrilapod to the outside and it just hangs from one of the straps.
--various filters will go into the zip pocket based on shoot plans and the light
--sometimes I substitute a speed light for one of the lens but realistically, this Tamrac is for street shooting, outdoor stuff (like a hike or an event) where I want a camera but may not end up shooting anything. If I'm anticipating using a tripod or speed lights than I usually have a different setup.

This trip:

ThinkTank Urban Disguise:

• D800
  • Nikon 18-35mm
  • Nikon 28-70mm 2.8
  • Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII
  • SB-700

Low Pro accessory backpack:

• B&W Polarizer
  • 10 Stop ND filter
  • Cable remote
  • Time-Lapse controller
  • Rain hood
  • chargers
  • memory cards
  • External HD
Tripod

I have :

Nikon D600
Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f4 VR
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR
Nikon AF-S 28mm f1.8
Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB910 (flash)
(Tripod)

Typical setups that I carry around:
D600 + 28mm --- Minimalist "William Klein" Setup
D600 + 50mm --- Minimalist "Henri-Cartier Bresson" Setup
D600 + 28mm + 70-200mm -- Minimalist "Galen Rowell" Setup
D600 + 28mm + 70-200mm + SB910
D600 + 16-35mm + 70-200mm + Tripod
D600 + 16-35mm + 50mm + 70-200mm + SB910
D600 + 16-35mm + 50mm + 70-200mm + SB910 + Tripod

I also have an older bag with D5100, AF-S 18-55mm VR, AF-S 55-200mm VR, 35mm f1.8 DX, SB400 but I really dont do much with that one anymore.

Oh, and I have spare batteries, quite a couple memory cards, and a 3m flash cable.

Last edited:
Which bag? I have several.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which bag? I have several.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell me about it, I just bought a new one today. My gear on trips is really starting to add up. So I picked up a ThinkTank Airstream today....figured the rollers would help ease things a bit. The plan is to throw all my costly camera gear in the airstream and misc stuff in my checked bags. Then put my iPad and macbook in my laptop case. I should end up looking like your typical business traveler...even flying 1st class :)

An analogue body (Pentax Z-20), SMC 28-80 lens, Revuenon 50/1.4 lens with detachable metal stray-light hood, Gossen light meter, dust blower, lens-cleaning paper, spare battery, two rolls of Kodak film (colour ISO 200 24 frames, B&W 400 CN 36 frames).

Here's what I just sold:
15259176223_50a1f23579_b.jpg

I need a new picture and probably a new bag. I have a D750, 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, 16-35 f/4 VR, and 24-70 f/2.8 all from Nikon. Also have an SB-910 and two Yongnuo's.

Most reactions

Back