When did you "get it"?

I don't think it is that big a deal. The transition between snap-shooter, amateur and then experienced hobbyist are not that far apart. I have found that I acquired a technical understanding at some point that enabled me to know what was required. The rest is a question of staying "in the game." There comes a point where you need to just keep shooting regularly to keep your head atuned to various options, and to keep your creativity constantly pushing the borders of what you already know, and what you're trying.

I guess the point is: you can get "it" relatively easily, but the new "it" is always around the corner, and hopefully you'll never run out of "its".

I feel like I almost have it because every time I walk by something or see something while driving I always say...Wow, that would make a great picture! But I dont know anything, I just push the button a few times and hope for the best.

Is it possible that we all have different definitions of it?

I guess photography can be all about the technical things like f stops and shutter speeds and their interactions.... That's an it which might actually have a defining moment. But then that would be fairly early on.

Maybe it for some people is more about what to shoot and what to pass up.

or

Maybe it is about knowing how to create emotion with your photography...

or

Maybe it is about telling a story with a portrait not just shoot a face in a pretty background.

Sometimes I think it is about not listening to some of the comments that pass for critique. You just can't go by it has a blown out sky, for the worth of a photograph.

It is my opinion and mine only, this is not a stone tablet and I'm not standing by any burning bush, That an image is more than the sum of it's techie points. If your image has something to say a lot can be forgiven.

My wife is a huge fan of top chef the tv show. The moderator made a statement the other night. He said, "If the food is good people can overlook mediocre service." If you have something to say, I for one can overlook a blown out sky or a hot spot on a face. My god I can even overlook a not so perfect background.

The lady said, "It's about the light." What she really said is it's about the quality of the light. Which has a lot more to do with the feel ie something for the image to say to you, than the amount of the light.

An old man carving a violin at the window of his shop can be blowout or gloomy each says something different one works for some one doesn't. The techie can make a picture with either and say wow how good I am that was really tricky. Knowing which to shoot is about getting IT in my mind. Not knowing how to read the light meter. Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth.

Have faith in yourself, you will get it.
Personally, I am still 'getting it'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back