Where are your photos?

Kpablo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no earthly clue where to put my thread.

Where do you store all your images? I was thinking about getting a 1TB external hard drive. After talking to a co worker who's e. hard drive fried I'm now contemplating it. She keeps hers on Rewritable DVD disk.

Suggestions? Inputs? Ideas?

Unprocessed images are stored on my external hard drive (500 GB and mostly full), while processed images are kept on my actual laptop (also with a 500 GB hard drive).

Mirrored LaCie disks.

Backups are in rotation on both tape and internal HD w/ docking station.

This is important!

What ever you do, do not depend on rewritable CD or DVDs... they don't last long. They are meant for temporary and portable storage.

Mirrored LaCie disks.

Backups are in rotation on both tape and internal HD w/ docking station.

This is important!

What ever you do, do not depend on rewritable CD or DVDs... they don't last long. They are meant for temporary and portable storage.

I guess everything could be a potential disaster.

...:lmao:

I just found some of the clearest hard copies of photos from 1960's in hubby's old scrapbook.

So is the 'old way' better?
[hard copies]

Seriously what is the best way of storing digitals?

Two external hard drives and burn to DVD as well as my working 'c' drive. Originals get duped to a drive as they're offloaded from card to primary disk and the other two drives are sync'd to my image tree via rsync. When 'C' fills up, the originals get eliminated from the working drive.

All finished images (PSD/TIFF/JPG) and their associated originals (the 'keepers') get dropped to two other solid state hard drives once a month then delivered back into the safety deposit box.

I burn my raw files to DVDs. I also have one external hard drive for raw files and another for JPEGs. My JPEGs are also on my desktop computer.

I suppose if I wanted to go the old way I could have them all printed, buy a thousand scrapbooks, and keep a hard copy.

I have no earthly clue where to put my thread.

Where do you store all your images? I was thinking about getting a 1TB external hard drive. After talking to a co worker who's e. hard drive fried I'm now contemplating it. She keeps hers on Rewritable DVD disk.

Suggestions? Inputs? Ideas?

do both.
and then also do offsite.
keep the HD and the discs at diff locations.

im guilty of not being ready for a catastrophe. i have one HD. if it goes...i am screeeewwwwwwed. i should take my own advice. :lol:

I have RAID1 configured 2 X 1TB drives and then I have a separate 500GB external drive. I keep nothing on my laptop for longer than a week or so (my laptop is my only computer). The important thing is that you should have, at the minimum, 2 copies of everything.

To be safe I backup on drive and online. I upload to megaupload and now my FTP server..

...:lmao:

I just found some of the clearest hard copies of photos from 1960's in hubby's old scrapbook.

So is the 'old way' better?
[hard copies]

Seriously what is the best way of storing digitals?

I'm always surprised that printing never ever comes up in these threads with regard to digital images. I guess its because computer storage and presentation is very much at teh fore of everyones thoughts, but prints work well also (though they are less versatile than an original RAW file or TIFF)

I would agree with the masses here that external harddrives are the way forward for digital storage of images - affordable and (in my experience) easier, faster and more reliable than burning images to DVD. However whilst I would (personally) only keep one copy of my unedited/failed shots I would keep at least two if not more copies of originals and edited shots that were sucesses.

I say keep the "duds" because sometimes you can go back to them and find one that shows something important (that last shot which is not perfect but is the only one you have of a, now lost, relative or other similar situations) or which (with some editing) can be sized down and have use at least on the net if nowhere else.

I have an internal secondary HD as well as an external HD. I keep my photos in both locations that way if one HD goes up, I still have it on another which gives me enough time to order an additional HD to replace the bad one. lol

I use a NAS(network attached storage)device I can get the photos from any computer in the house

Most reactions

Back