Which autofocus motor to use?

Willful dissonance going on here? I'm eternally flabbergasted by the "I'm Sure!" attitudes of folks asking questions.

Also the manual focus switch on the lens is a "quick release" type setup that doesn't rely on you flicking the Manual focus button on the camera (which, depending on the shooting conditions might be a bit cumbersome).

I just can't walk away. :lol:

The AF-S lenses do not have a focusing screw on them... this is a specific terminology here (and thus, I think a lot of the confusion)... its a little slotted screw head that you can see at about 10:00 on NOYZE's second image there. That's a focusing screw.

I assume what you're referring to as a focusing screw is the ring around the lens that allows you to focus manually with your hands?

This is what I was referring to in my first post- there is no focusing screw on an AF-S lense, so therefore there can be no mechanical connection for focusing between your D90 body and your AF-S lens, therefore making the utilization of the in-body focusing motor an impossibility, thus making "selecting between one motor and the other" a non-option.

Ok?

Ok.

I feel better now.

LOL :lmao:

WOw, now I know why you were confused...But, you actually explained what I wanted to know and why it is that way. I had no idea what an actual 'focus screw' even was.

So basically, the AF-motor in the camera does the AF by turning an actual screw on the lens???

Last edited:
I take that back...

Thanks for the help ! I am much less confused now than I was last night. :)

Last edited:
So basically, the AF-motor in the camera does the AF by turning an actual screw on the lens???

yes... and this is pretty much all you needed to know. when you attach an AF-S lens to your camera, the A/M switch on the camera body becomes non-functional.

yes... and this is pretty much all you needed to know. when you attach an AF-S lens to your camera, the A/M switch on the camera body becomes non-functional.

Not necessarily, it still does toggle the AF system on/off. It may be more difficult to use in situations but it still can control the AF system on AF-S lenses. It just becomes a matter of deciding which you like better, and I kind of like the body switch most of the time.

Not necessarily, it still does toggle the AF system on/off. It may be more difficult to use in situations but it still can control the AF system on AF-S lenses. It just becomes a matter of deciding which you like better, and I kind of like the body switch most of the time.

when i have an AF-S lens attached and switch the body switch to M, and the lens switch to A, the camera still functions as if the body switch was set to A. it autofocuses and all autofocus features are still available. both my D50 and D90 function this way.

Really? Mine doesn't with my 18-105 or my 55-200. What lenses are you using that it still works?

55-200 and 18-55 are the only ones i know i've actually switched it to M on the body just for the purpose of seeing if it worked or not. although while out shooting and putting on a new lens i always switch it to M by accident and i'll often walk around the entire day like that.

i could be wrong... but i don't think there is anything electronic connected to that switch. i think it's just a mechanical engage/disengage for the screw driver.

55-200 and 18-55 are the only ones i know i've actually switched it to M on the body just for the purpose of seeing if it worked or not. although while out shooting and putting on a new lens i always switch it to M by accident and i'll often walk around the entire day like that.

i could be wrong... but i don't think there is anything electronic connected to that switch. i think it's just a mechanical engage/disengage for the screw driver.

Strange. I wonder if they changed that later in production. I'm pretty sure my body would've been in the early production runs (bought in Sept). When did you get your body? Not that purchase date would indicate production time but it would be interesting to see if they changed that. Can any other D90 owners confirm this?

I'm sitting here trying it now on both lenses and the body switch is overriding the switch on the lens. I guess it's a bonus for me since I like to use it. :thumbup:

that's actually why i first tried it, i didn't like using the switch on the lens.
i don't think production date would matter since my D50 is the same way. that is like 5/6 years old.

That's what I was thinking when I remembered you had the D50 too. Hmmm...

now you got me second guessing myself. i'll have to check again when i get home. if it doesn't work i'll have to check myself in to the loony bin.

Most reactions

Back