Which canon lense?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im ready to buy the 50d and having a hard time deciding on which lense to get with it the 18-200 or 28-135. Which lense has the better quality images as far as sharpness?

Im ready to buy the 50d and having a hard time deciding on which lense to get with it the 18-200 or 28-135. Which lense has the better quality images as far as sharpness?
Well, I would go with the 50mm for the price and quality of the results.

Sorry, I know this does not answer your question, but I had to throw that in there since it is the best lens on the market (price point / quality ratio), and you mentioned you want quality images.

I'm sure you will love the 50D!

Good luck :D

My first reaction was....neither.

If you like that focal range, save up for a 24-105 f/4 L
Maybe look at third party lenses such as the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

I've shot with the 28-135 on my XSI a while ago and I wasn't too impressed. It was ok, but nothing I would purchase. Never shot with the 18-200, but I'm not a fan of the very wide focal range lenses

If you like that focal range, save up for a 24-105 f/4 L
I agree with this statement, the 24-105mm is a great lens. Yes, it will cost you more, but if quality is paramont to you, this is a good option.

If it's too much, you could always purchase the 40D and spring for a better lens with the money you would save.

I already have the 50mm 1.4f , 100mm 2.8, and the 75-300 II. So from what your saying get the body only. I am probally going to get the 17-40L 4f. But it just seemed like it was a pretty good deal to get a lense with the 50d. Any other suggestions?

For the 50D and lower, I would not get the kit lens if you had the choice unless you have no other lenses.

Looking at what you have, I would only get the body. The only lens I see in your current setup that is a long term lens is the 50mm 1.4. You have a consumer telephoto and lacking anything on the wide end. If you are happy with the telephoto for now, the 17-40 might be a good choice, as could be the 24-70 or even the 16-35. Or hell, throw in the 10-22.

What do you want to do with the new lens? What do you find you are missing?

I already have the 50mm 1.4f , 100mm 2.8, and the 75-300 II. So from what your saying get the body only. I am probally going to get the 17-40L 4f. But it just seemed like it was a pretty good deal to get a lense with the 50d. Any other suggestions?
I would get the body only as well, but obviously, that is just personal preference. The reason behind that though is to just save the extra money you would pay on one of those lenses (even though you are right, it may not be a heck of a lot if you buy it with the 50D) to purchase a high quality lens.

What are your needs in terms of focal range and what do you shoot (or plan to shoot)?

For the 50D and lower, I would not get the kit lens if you had the choice unless you have no other lenses.

Looking at what you have, I would only get the body. The only lens I see in your current setup that is a long term lens is the 50mm 1.4. You have a consumer telephoto and lacking anything on the wide end. If you are happy with the telephoto for now, the 17-40 might be a good choice, as could be the 24-70 or even the 16-35. Or hell, throw in the 10-22.

What do you want to do with the new lens? What do you find you are missing?

Yeah the 50 1.4f is great but I also really like my 100mm macro its super sharp. As far as what is lacking , I really want a universal lense like the 17-40L for landscape and so my wife can just take her everyday pictures. She hates the 50mm because of the foot zoom! But I also want a telephoto for nature shots and sporting events.

I let my 28-135mm IS sit on my shelf for a long time, favoring my primes and my ultra wide. But recently I've started using it for portraits and it's walk-around factor. I've some what breathed new life into it.

I've seen it on craig's list for as low as $200 in good shape, but mostly for about $300. If I were you and I was un-sure, I'd watch a few video reviews at: Camera Labs: Digital Camera, Digital SLR and Lens Reviews, Workshops, News he gives really good reviews.

And if you are still un-sure as what to get, go with the body only and then buy the lenses you need as the needs arise.

Oh also, I notice you metioned the 18-200, which is an amazingly wide focal range. I would wager to bet the image quality suffers due to this wide range, but I could be wrong. Also that is an EF-S lens, which means if you ever want to go to a full frame body you would have to part with it.

Buy the body, take the savings, figure out what you need in the way of glass and buy that instead.

I bought my 40D w/ the 28-135 kit lens. Here is my experience.... I hated that lens. I shot a total of like 3 photos with it, and that was just to play with IS (a first for me). The range on a crop camera just plain sucked IMHO. Fast forward a year, and a new 5dmkII. lacking a wide zoom for full frame, I mounted the 28-135 on the 5DII. And now I use it more. I still do not love the lens by any means, but I find the color/contrast to be fairly good. Stopped down its not bad at all in sharpness. So now it sees a little use.

I would skip buying it with the 50D...unless you can resale it and come out ahead.

I bought my 40D w/ the 28-135 kit lens. Here is my experience.... I hated that lens. I shot a total of like 3 photos with it, and that was just to play with IS (a first for me). The range on a crop camera just plain sucked IMHO. Fast forward a year, and a new 5dmkII. lacking a wide zoom for full frame, I mounted the 28-135 on the 5DII. And now I use it more. I still do not love the lens by any means, but I find the color/contrast to be fairly good. Stopped down its not bad at all in sharpness. So now it sees a little use.

I would skip buying it with the 50D...unless you can resale it and come out ahead.

This is why I plan on saving my 28-135mm when I upgrade to a body only 5D mk II.

Thanks again guys for the advice! I think Im going to try and get the 17-40L with the 50d instead. But Im waiting to see about the 60D to see what it has to offer.

Most reactions

Back