Which Graphic Card

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay getting ready to order a new computer. Still haven't quite decided on a laptop or desktop, though I'm leaning more and more toward the desktop. My question is several of the options I've checked have Geforce RTX3070 with 8gb. The options that include the GTX4060 are considerably higher. my current card is a 1060 so either option would be an improvement.

Anyone running either the 3070 or 4060????? Experience, recommendations???? From what I've read the speed increase of the 4060 is minimal??

My card is a few years old the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super. Very happy so far.

My card is a few years old the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super. Very happy so far.
My concern is that Adobe is continuing to leverage the GPU processing, especially with the new AI features. The updates are coming quick so I hate to be obsolete right out of the box.

Not sure if this is any help but I use a 3070 on my desktop (i7-11700) and a 4070 in the laptop (i9-3980) - Performance is somewhat comparable between them.

Just tested a few files on the desktop using LR AI Denoise to give some form of benchmark and on a 61Mp / 125MB RAW image it takes on average 25-30 seconds to run. On a 16Mp / 14Mb RAW file it takes approx 10-15 seconds.

Of course this probably depends on amount of grain, complexity of the image etc but these timings seem within range of repeatable.

Not sure how that compares elsewhere but I know on my old integrated graphics (AMD Ryzen) laptop I could almost go make a cup of coffee for the same operations to be run.

@wobe that is helpful. I rarely use AI Denise, because it takes awhile on my current rig. The 3070 was another option I found. How much VRAM do you have on your cards?

@wobe that is helpful. I rarely use AI Denise, because it takes awhile on my current rig. The 3070 was another option I found. How much VRAM do you have on your cards?
Both the laptop 4070 and desktop 3070 are 8Gb VRAM, just to confirm this is a 3070 not a 3070ti (which being a next step up would probably be somewhat faster - at a price)

Both the laptop 4070 and desktop 3070 are 8Gb VRAM, just to confirm this is a 3070 not a 3070ti (which being a next step up would probably be somewhat faster - at a price)

Can't always believe what you read on the internet, but one article I read didn't show significant speed difference in the 3060ti and the 3070.

Can't always believe what you read on the internet, but one article I read didn't show significant speed difference in the 3060ti and the 3070.
Yes - It`s quite possible the difference between those two is not so much, especially for our use case (gaming may be another matter as that is more likely to take advantage of specific technologies in certain circumstances useful to gaming but not for LR use especially 4k gaming at high frame rates).

My last couple of laptops have had Nvidia, and I have been pleased with them. The current laptop (i5-2520M) has an Nvidia NVS 4200M. I do fairly little post, and what I do has gone faster since my upgrade to an SSD.

I've always preferred the GTX NVidia cards, no real reason they just seem to work as designed. I used the older 1050TI and 1060TI at work and was never able to choke them up.

Look for processer speed, number of threads and more ram the better but that can get very pricey after 8GB.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back