which one?

I agree about the composition -

My only problem with the A would have been that some of the detail was lost in the black areas.

unfortunately it's not really possible to judge a picture that has
been resized for viewing in a web browser. I can assure you that
both pics have detail in the shadows.

That's exactly the thing - both images still have detail in the shadows,
but the tonal range (and for that the 'look & feel) is totally different.

metroshane said:
I'm not sure that's such a fair comparison because of the composition.
I would have to agree. Before I read through the posts I thought you wanted us to judge the composition. Your different positions and composition completely changes the "personality" of the pictures even if you were to take them with the same camera at the same setting. I just tend to notice layout and design first and then tone and color unless they really stand out as different.

If you want to do another test, it would help a lot if the pictures were as close as possible composition wise and of course you already use the same camera settings. For both composition and tone I like version b better but I don't think it was fair comparision.

I think I know what you are talking about when you are comparing film and digital. It's kind of the same reaction people had to film movies versus digital movies. Digital has that clean, perfect, and "clinical" look to it while film has that "soul", personality, and dare I say depth to it. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. It really depends on what type of feel you are trying to get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back