Which to submit?

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
There's a site you may or may not be familiar with (http://www.dpchallenge.com). It's a contest site, and I want to submit one of the following for the free study competition. Only I don't know which one is the best. I like them all but each for different reasons. Comments?

gold%20tower2b.jpg

illuminated.jpg

sacred%20heart.jpg

i'm gonna say 2 appeals to me the most. the sunset/sunrise are nice but my eyes linger around number 2 the longest... to me it has the most going for it. nice work :)

To my mind, you can rule out No. 3.

But I'm torn between 1 and 2.

I really like how you positioned the sun so very exactly behind that church tower that its glow grows, then diminishes, in perfect circles around the spire and the top window gets fully illuminated. This kind of framing is so different from anything else about sunsets I've seen before that, the longer I think about it, the more I tend towards Photo 1.

On the other hand, lighting and colours of 2 are very appealing, too....

I fear I'm not helping you any...

But the top roof is missing...! And there would have been room to include it, there's enough street to be seen at the bottom...
The colours are unbeatable, but the missing roof really makes me favour No.1. Plus I find this one a so far unique way of capturing a sunset: without the sun to be seen and without any dramatically lit clouds.

one to me has the better composition but 2 has awesome lighting and well 3 didnt do ne thing for me so i say u get a quater and flip it and thats how u make up ur mind between 1 and 2

#2 is awesome. The overal color is just plain great.Blue and orange are complimentary colors as well. It is indeed more unique than the average photo and I'm sure anyone can appreciate that. There's just alot more going on. There is kinda a depressing mood however.
I actually think the juxtapositioning of the first one to the second one has an effect of making it better. It's like, "HERE'S SOME AWESOME ORANGE SUN-NESS!"
And then suddenly, "Alright, calm down, it's smooth blue time."

I dunno, try looking at them one at a time and then next to each other for awhile. ...not that it really helps you decide which one would be best for a competition heh

I really like #1. Yes, it's a sunset but the church is a nice touch. I'm not sure what #2 is. I'd like #3 better with the sky from #1.

We are no help - cause we cancel each others vote out!

I'm agreeing with everyone else...#2! But...the cropping situation LaFoto brought up, about the missing roof...I'm torn on weather or not to agree with that. If you crop up a bit, you would lose the curving of the tracks at the bottom, and I really think that adds to the picture.

ShutterBug: yup yup. First was on fourth st and mesaba. Second was down by the D.E.C.C, and third was on mesaba again.

The only way to fix the roof would be a re-shoot, which isn't exactly a _bad_ thing, but last time I was there train cars were blocking the view pretty harshly.

Most reactions

Back