Which tripod head for the Gitzo 2530?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Kwak12r, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Kwak12r

Kwak12r TPF Noob!

I was lucky enough for my g/f to gift me a Gitzo 2530 tripod!
    I am know at odds which head to go with.
    I am looking at a Really Right Stuff BH55, a Kirk BH-1 or a Bogen 468MGRC0.

I plan on getting a 400mm Canon 'L' lens soon thus the reason for looking at the more expensive heads that are on the market.

Any ideas/comments on the above choices, or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks!

2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If it is strickly for the 400L the I would suggest this. Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head
    Exactly what it is designed for.

If you want a head that can be used for the 400 and general work then I would suggest this.
    Burzynski Tripod Head
    Top it with a good Arca-swiss QR head. I prefer Kirk but the RRS is nice too.

If you read the bottom of this page it explains where to get the burzynski with out the high shipping.

Update: Pro Ball Head Review - compares ball heads to give sharper photos & solid video support

3. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have used the Wimberley heads, both the 1st and 2nd generation models. They are excellent, but too heavy for my taste. 4-5lbs in most respects, not including the plate.
    I am quite impressed with the 4th Generation Design Mongoose heads. I have used their 2.5 version for medium telephoto lenses and plan on getting the 3.5 model for super-telephoto lenses. They are very high quality heads and weigh just over a pound.

4th Generation Designs - Welcome

I currently the new Gitzo Center Ballhead GH3780QR with my 400mm f/2.8L. It is an impressive piece of hardware. Supports 36 lbs at a 45 degree angle. Once locked down, it ain't movin'. Problem is, it's a ballhead and so a bit of care needs to be taken when using them with heavy gear to prevent flop. It is a stop-gap for now until i get the new head.

On a side note, I wish Gitzo would pay more attention in the Quality Control area of their products. They are well designed and engineered. Assembly is suspect; at least in my case. My GT2531EX Explorer came with a loose leg cam and the center ball-head has a slight binding in the panning section. Correctable, but I expect more when I fork out the premium bucks for a Gitzo.

4. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally the weight of the Wimberley doesn't bother me. I don't lug it long distances. The generation II is definately an improvement over the orignal.