Which Tripod? Slik SL700DX -or- Dolica CX620B104

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by woodcycl, Sep 15, 2010.

1. woodcycl

woodcycl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Slik SL700DX on its way from B&H Photo and it has great reviews for a >$150 tripod and I'm sure I'd be happy with it.

However, I now have an opportunity to get the Dolica CX620B104 for $80. With the $60 savings, I can buy a Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head to replace the stock ball head and end up with what may be a better overall tripod given the ball head. The Slik comes w/ the standard Pan Head.

Any recommendations? B&H looks to have a return policy w/ no penalty for return shipping, restocking fees, etc.

Thanks much,
    Brian

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Slik is a decent name, and their higher-end legs are actually pretty good. In this case the Slik looks to me like a Manfrotto copy/clone, so I would guess that it's likely to be the better unit. My suggestion would be to go with this one (Never having heard of Dolica before, and not being overly impressed with what I see on-line) and save you $$$ for a ball head. Have you thought of looking at used gear stores or Craig's List? A lot of money to be saved buying used!

3. woodcycl

woodcycl TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Tirediron. I believe I will stay w/ the Slik model and save up the $$ for a nice Ball head for down the road.