White Balance adjustment for IR?

TopPop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I received my IR filter for my D70 a couple of days ago, and haven't had much time to use it yet, but I've been reading up on the best ways to acheive good results.
I read that to get trees their whitest, I need to use a custom WB setting, using a spot of grass as the "white". However, do I set this "white" with or without the IR filter on? I guess that I'm trying to ask if I should set a true green as the "white", or a "true" green as the camera will see it through the filter. Does that make any sense? :confused:
Thanks for any help that you can give!
Cheers,
Chris

Now you've got me wondering? Does a digital camera sensor record more than visable light? I've never concerned myself with this before. I bet not. IF this is correct, then you won't need the filter at all.

Hmmm... this is an interesting question.

Don't worry about a custom white balance. Just set it afterwards by setting a white point ot a leaf of a tree.

All digital sensors are sensitive to infrared light. They are so sensitive that they have a filter over them to block most IR light, because you don't want it in normal exposures.

The filter over the lens is to block VISIBLE light, so you are only recording mostly IR light.

Most reactions

Back