White Color Balance Temperature Question

Marc Hildebrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Group,

I have a raw canon camara picture displayed in Canon DDP4. With the White Balance setting set to "as shot", or Auto, the colors in the garden look correct.

If I adjust the temperature slider to a low setting, say, 2400 K, the picture has a very blue look. If I set the temperature high, say 9000 K, the colors lack blues.

This effect seems "backward" to me from what I know about color temperature emitted from a black body.

What am I missing?

Marc

I will answer my question. The White Balance Control adds the opposite color to the image to bring the color temperature back to neutral.

Marc

I will answer my question. The White Balance Control adds the opposite color to the image to bring the color temperature back to neutral.

Marc

To understand you have to delve deeper into how the RGB model works. Red, green and blue are Primary colors that when mixed are capable of rendering 16,777,216 possible colors. Looking at these on a color wheel, you can see the relationship of each, and how adjustments to one affect the others.

download.png

The mixing of the three render secondary colors, which when combined with luminance, render hues, tints, tones, and shades. A good read on this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back