White on White

Margot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am regularly asked to shoot white items—white packaging, mostly, for the purpose of dropping out backgrounds to create PNGs for training materials [print and elearning]. I've tried colored sweeps but there's always color reflection to deal with. So I end up shooting on a white sweep, which means always having to use the pen tool instead of faster techniques, like the quick selection tool or other masking software—Topaz ReMask, Perfect Mask, etc.

Plus, the shoot is usually in a large R&D kitchen, with lots going on [plus fluorescent lighting and LOTS of stainless—yikes!]. So space is at a premium.

So, here's my question...how might I change my setup to make dropping out the backgrounds easier?

I was thinking of maybe using a light gray sweep, if I can find one that's not too wide or long or awkward to use in a tight location. I'm usually relegated to a prep table in the corner.

Any thoughts? I also thought about underexposing a white backdrop, but I don't have enough room to get enough distance between the object and the background.

Anyway, suggestions would be helpful. And thanks in advance.

The grey sweep idea sounds like the best one to me, but that may not be enough for something like Topaz (I've never found it to work very well). Have you tried 'Refine Edge' in PS?

The grey sweep idea sounds like the best one to me, but that may not be enough for something like Topaz (I've never found it to work very well). Have you tried 'Refine Edge' in PS?

Yes, actually, but more for hair and other softer objects. These are hard edges—food packaging boxes that are mostly white with colored graphics/logos/etc. Even using the pen tool sans quick selection tool a/o refine edge would go faster with more contrast between the box edge and the background—at least that's what I'm hoping. But don't want any color that would reflect back onto the boxes.

Since my space is limited, I don't think I have room to light the background separately...

I'd use a gray sweep (I'm not even sure I'd care if it was a "light" gray vs. middle gray sweep.)

If you are using flash and the flash source is close to the subject the light "fall-off" will drop very rapidly and the background will be dark.

Most reactions

Back