Whitefish Bay

Cody'sCaptures

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took another stab at this composting thing... Is there any suggestions on doing fine selections? I had a hard time between using the quick selection, magic wand, lasso and the pen tool just to get the selection. Then it seemed some of the selection still had some color bleed around the edges.

Door county is absolutely beautiful! This was taken this august in the Whitefish dunes state park (cavepoint bay). I wish I could make it back up for the fall foliage but, its quite a drive from Chicago.
Please let me know if you have any great tips or insight on making those complex selections. Also what you think of this image and what can be improved upon, thanks for checking it out either way.

_DSC0539-Edit.jpg

Not a bad image, but as davidharmier60 suggests, it is not that interesting. Composition is reasonable with the shoreline taking the viewer's eye through the picture and into the background. If it was mine, I would like the sky to have a bit more contrast, but then that may be a bit of a personal thing as not everyone likes a high contrast sky.

It is unclear what "selection" you are referring to in your introduction. I don't have any suggestions, without knowing the "fine selection".

WesternGuy

It was a completely Gray sky that I replaced. The lake as well was a "median stack" of a few images without going overboard without the floaty look (didn't bring tripod oops). It was difficult to select the tree line without grabbing some of the Gray sky. I went back and forth with the saturation of the sky but felt it was to distracting from the shoreline and then kept it pretty dull(might play with that layer again). There was a few higher splashes on the foreground I could try to work in to add some more interest to it. The selection process I need some help separating them without looking like I used scissors

You have hit on one of the more difficult things to "replace", a sky with a irregular contact line between it and the rest of the image. I have a lot of trouble with those as well. I am assuming you are using Photoshop. Have you tried using the new "Select and Mask" tool. Not saying it is the final answer, but if you haven't used it, you might find it helpful. If you Google it on the web, you will find a number of videos on its use - "Photoshop Select and Mask". If you haven't already done it, there are also a lot of videos on the web that cover various aspects of replacing skies. You might find some useful ones there.

Here's is one approach - How To Replace The Sky In A Photo With Photoshop

and another - Using The New Select and Mask Feature in Photoshop CC 2015.5

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

You have hit on one of the more difficult things to "replace", a sky with a irregular contact line between it and the rest of the image. I have a lot of trouble with those as well. I am assuming you are using Photoshop. Have you tried using the new "Select and Mask" tool. Not saying it is the final answer, but if you haven't used it, you might find it helpful. If you Google it on the web, you will find a number of videos on its use - "Photoshop Select and Mask". If you haven't already done it, there are also a lot of videos on the web that cover various aspects of replacing skies. You might find some useful ones there.

Here's is one approach - How To Replace The Sky In A Photo With Photoshop

and another - Using The New Select and Mask Feature in Photoshop CC 2015.5

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy
Thanks I'll have to try some of the blending modes that I didn't know about before.. i know I could've just googled it myself but wading through the copious amounts of crap online takes to much time. Appreciate the input and links

Most reactions

New Topics

Back